Votes: 21 95.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in light of the recent complaints about gearbox failures/build quality issues/long term stuff, I started researching some other options, and I wanted to solicit feedback on this comparo:

Acura RSX Type S: $23,865 MSRP
200hp iVTEC engine
6 Speed (perfect) gearbox
Leather Bucket Seats
BOSE 6 Disk Radio

vs.

'05 MINI Cooper S: $25,159 MSRP
170hp Supercharged Pentagon Engine
6 Speed Getrag Gearbox
Cordoba Beige Leather
Hamon Kardon Sound System
Sunroof
Sport Package

On paper these two machines are very similar, and they compare well, and in light of the reliability issues with the MINI, is the Acura a better choice?

Thanks
RM

·
Registered
134 Posts
I doubt the Acura being as fun to drive as the MINI. This is a MINI forum, so the result isn´t too hard to guess. ;) Nothing compares to MINI. Really.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the opportunity to purchase an Acura RSX (not the S, though) and I didn't go through with it. I've owned enough Honda products throughout my life and I wanted something a bit different. Granted, they are very reliable cars, but I just wasn't that excited about ultimately choosing the Acura as my new car. The MINI Cooper S had caught my eye several years ago, but I decided to wait for a while, since I had already had my experience with a first model year car (Suzuki Sidekick) and vowed not to fall into that trap again. So, when I figured it's time to make a choice I did my research and read the reviews and the forums and finally put in my order for an MCS.

Some of the factors in my decision:

Fun - the car had to be fun to drive

Looks - it had to appeal to my eye. I find PT Cruisers appealing, but they are so commonplace now. I do like the convertible a lot, but it didn't move me enough to buy it.

Reliability - There are always issues in the first couple of years, but according to early reports on the 2005's the build quality has improved greatly since the MCs inception and recent polls indicate a high degree of consumer satisfaction. Also, the fact that BMW is the parent company makes me feel better.

I guess overall, it was time for something different.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

·
Registered
733 Posts
this was the same choice that I had to make last year.

I ended up getting a MINI Cooper :) (not an S)

I was very interested in getting another Acura, because my previous (and only other car) was an Acura Integra that I had owned for 16 years! I thought that getting an Acura was the "safer" bet, as it was a known quantity.

but I couldn't shake the reality that I was completely enamored with the MINI ;)

I've had my MINI since January '04, and I absolutely love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all (knock wood) and couldn't be happier with it. It drives well, and is loads of fun.

good luck on your decision.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
The gearboxes of both cars changed for '05. I don't see the logic of a poll based on
recent complaints about gearbox failures/build quality issues/long term stuff
When the '05s everyone says have better build quality, and there haven't been any gearbox issues or 'long term stuff' because no one has had them.

Everyone admits the '05s have a few minor changes, and a ton of reliability improvements, which have yet to be appreciated, since they're so new.

If you're seriously considering an Acura, perhaps a MINI isn't for you. MINIs aren't perfect, never will be, and that's just it. If you want a perfect car that has less personality, then go for it.

Oh, and the $1300 leather seats are overpriced, so I don't see that as a fair comparison, if you want leather pay for it, but speccing to match doesn't work due to oddities in MINI pricing, because they give free leatherette and surcharge for leather. Doesn't the RSX come free with leather?

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
Is the 05 gearbox in the MCS actually differnet? I kno the cooper's is now getrag, but ths MCS was already getrag, so what they done? comepletely changed the box?

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
What they have admitted to is that they changed the ratios of the gears. Improving off the line acceleration and at least in the US lowering the fuel economy. Not sure if they changed anything else, but logic would dictate if they knew there were problems with something particular, they might have just fixed it and not made a big deal.

Its still a Getrag, so not the 'big change' of the 5 speed, but the 5 speed midlands one was always the problematic one anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also considered the rsx type s before purchasing my mcs. On straight line performance, the acura wins, around the turns, the mini owns all. With the acura, you will have a much better chance at having a trouble free car, although there are a lot of reported problems with the synchros grinding on the acura 6 speed. in terms of looks, i really liked the look of the acura until i started seeing one on every street corner. its a nice look, but doesn't stand out nearly as much as the mini does. the interior on the mini looks nicer(in my opinion) and you can get many more options, but the acura is very comfortable and the interior is still really nice. it's all personal preference between the 2 cars. i personally chose the mini because i prefered how the car was all around and i'm willing to deal with the occasional mechanical problem since the car still gives me smiles after 4 months and 14k miles :)

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
I test drove both and went with the mini.

RSX-S
Pros:
Interior is very very sexy and well designed.
The gear shift is extremely good.
Fast with lots of power.
Seats are awesome

Cons:
Very soft ride with lots of bodyroll.
No fun.
Mediocre styling.
It's just another Japanese car.

Cooper S.
Pros:
Amazing Fun to drive.
Amazing handling.
Great exterior styling.
High residuals.
It's British like me.
The dealer is next to where i work.

Cons:
Interior is different but isn't as nice as the rsx.
Can't think of any more.

The cooper s maybe slower and more expensive, but it handles a thousand times better and is a million times more fun to drive. I came back from the test drive on the rsx-s unexcited and uninspired. I came back from the test drive on the mini with the hugest smile on my face asking where do I sign and how long will it take to get here.

·
Registered
733 Posts
lukebuzzy said:
The cooper s maybe slower and more expensive, but it handles a thousand times better and is a million times more fun to drive. I came back from the test drive on the rsx-s unexcited and uninspired. I came back from the test drive on the mini with the hugest smile on my face asking where do I sign and how long will it take to get here.
That's the exact same reaction that I had! :)

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
that's how I felt on every other car I test drove before ordering Oscar: RSX-S, WRX, SVT Focus. the only car that came close IMO to the MCS--in terms of driving fun and my reaction to it--was the Focus. All three felt tinny compared to the MINI, as well.

Now, I'd sure love to take a Lotus Elise for a quik spin 'round the block :D :eek: :D Or maybe in 5 years I can afford a used NSX--now that'd look fine in the garage next to my MCS! :D :D Jimbo

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
RSX was on the list that got wiped out when the MINI hit me.
It's a very nice car and I've enjoyed driving the two Integras I owned before the MINI, but it doesn't launch you to a whole new level of handling and car control the way the MINI does.
I'm closing in on 2 years with my MCS and I do not envy RSX owners...or WRX owners...or GTI owners...or Focus owners....

·
Registered
357 Posts
I test drove both and ended up with a Cooper. Personally I give the advantage to the Acura in the interior, motor, reliability and transmission category. Pushing the Vtec to 8000 rpm is pure heaven. However the Cooper (and S) were just more fun to drive (and much quieter). Both great cars for very different reasons.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
See, this is why I post these sorts of threads! Excellent information and some MINI support!

Although these two cars are certainly comparable on paper, I am with all of you all in that the Acura never really held my attention for very long.

I wanted to poll the group to see what other information there was out there about the 05 build quality and customers opinions. It seems like the 05's are getting great reviews across the board.

Needless to say my 05 MCS order will remain in place! My cold feet have warmed up in light of these encouraging posts!

Thanks everyone!
ciao
RM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
RallyMINI
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing