MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

So I finally got around to test driving a Mini (downtown Toronto Mini) and sat down with a salesperson for a chat. Did anyone have any success in negotiating a price lower than MSRP? I was looking at a 05 Cooper with the sport package. The salesperson said they are basically not giving discounts to anyone. True or false?

acksee

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I don't know about over there but in the UK you'd be lucky to get a discount.I think people are relying on asking for a full tank of fuel or mud flaps or other such 'freebies' to try and get at least something out of the dealer.Dealers don't have trouble selling MINI so why would they want to discount,its a bit different if you've got a product that isn't selling very well but unfortunately in the finance sense our car of choice doesn't have that problem.Good luck with getting some 'freebies 'off your dealer.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
True, unless the dealers have changed tactics since I picked up my Cooper this May.
I got zero discount, but did manage to get $300 in merchandise or accessories of my choice, so this could be viewed similar to a discount. They would not, however reduce the car price by this amount in lieu of accepting the accessories.
The only way I can see getting a lower than list price is for the end of model year cars on the lot that they want to move. When I was investigating the purchase there were some cars being offerred at a small discount from their inventory. They were models with too many options for my budget so I ordered to my spec.
It felt strange not to be able to haggle on price, but in the end I felt the car was good value.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are several Mini dealers in the GTA area, so shop around and I'm sure they can offer you some discount. When I bought my 04 cooper, I visited 3 dealers (waterloo, woodbridge and markham) and all of them could at least offer me 2%/$600 discount, and that was before I negiotiate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
like most have mentioned, it's pretty hard to get a discount on MSRP...it's more about getting extras "thrown in at no extra cost". i got the HK system, metallic paint, rubber floor mats, Italian Job double DVD set and a bunch of little things (hat, t-shirt, mints, keychain) thrown in at no expense. that made it a little sweeter. :p

by the way, i bought an '04 MCS in July '03, received it in October '03. so it wasn't because they were trying to get rid of the model year, i was getting a brand spankin' new 2004 MCS in 2003!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got Downtown Mini to throw in one of those cool remote control Mini's in our deal last July. I think they retailed for like $180 or something like that? I don't really mind cause we love the car and I always tell myself "what other car looks and drives this good for the same amout of money"

·
Registered
195 Posts
larkie said:
i just bought a new 04 mcs, and got a $2100 discount since i'm getting a year end car..
do u guys think i got a fair deal there? or i should of ask for even more.

You got an excellent deal compared to many of the other folks here. I've asked for discounts and have been turned down at various locations. So you got lucky and be happy with it.

When I get my car/truck/SUV, I'll be doing the same thing - waiting for the year-end to roll around.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can get up to 750$ off (I think)

I just picked up my MCS last week. I have the numbers at home, but I talked to a bunch of dealers too (TO, Waterloo, St. Catherines) TO is the least likely give a discount (big demand in the GTA) But if you tell them that someone in Wloo will give you a discount, they'll probably give you a discound too.

Basically, it's a pretty marginal discount, but thats all they can do.

If you want I can look up the numbers for the max discount.

Cheers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The more upfront salespeople will tell you that BMW helps the dealers clear-out the year end cars (Manufacturer to dealer discounts as seen here - $2K plus, plus) .
I think they start in August and peak in October.
Note - it is up to the dealer to give you this discount, so you must be aggressive and shop around.

I would suspect that '05 prices become more negotiable as winter arrives - I can't imagine there is much traffic at a MINI dealer in early January.. but that is just a guess..

Aside - with the spectacular increase in the Canadian dollar over the past couple of years, have you noticed how much more expensive the cars are in Canada now compared to the USA?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just got my 05 MC ( with premium package ) about 2 weeks ago and I got about $1700 discount at the Mini Woodbridge dealership. My friend got hers at the same place about 1 week after mine and she got about $1300 off.

When i got my mini at that dealership, I dont think they are having much businesses, so they are very willing to give me discounts!

·
Registered
92 Posts
calo said:
Hi,

I just got my 05 MC ( with premium package ) about 2 weeks ago and I got about $1700 discount at the Mini Woodbridge dealership. My friend got hers at the same place about 1 week after mine and she got about $1300 off.

When i got my mini at that dealership, I dont think they are having much businesses, so they are very willing to give me discounts!

HEY ... I'm looking into purchasing a MINI soon for myself ... I wonder how the business would be around Febauary ... I hope I can get a discount look you did !

BTW .. who did you deal with back then ?

·
'03 BRG Cooper
10 Posts
I bought a "company" car (03 Cooper) that had 12k km on it and same thing, they would not budge on the price even though it was essentially a used car, but I did convince them to repaint the hood to fix up the stone chips.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.