MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H guys ...this is a great forum with some great advice...that being said, I am down to 1 or 2 problems (knock on wood) and really need some GOOD advice...I'm outta money and the euro experts here (Euraisia, edmonton Canada are no longer friendly)..Any way...getting to the current situation.....after 6 wks down I picked up my car at the shop. They had done some extensive top end work rep. cyl head,timing set valves seals etc 5000$+ parts I paid for...I got the car back 10 days ago...rhey informed me that the car still had low?no boost../..I left and while it ran better (no constant backfire under load)...I went home then washed the car.(kinda happy)...couple hrs later I went out to start cleaning out all the boxes and junk that had been accumulating...then I discovered the shop had not even replaced the engine air filter...getting irritated.I got out my tools...fumbling and cold I I got it done...started the car and headed to rhe store...within seconds I knew something had changed and it wasn't because of the air filter itself...the car pulled hard from 2000 rpm and up were as in the past it was mediocre and all over by 5000rpm...NOW it would scream right past 6000 often hitting the rev limiter as I am unacustom to this.....today I had boost for a while then it stopped....I hope its back next time I start it....haha! seriously tho......can someone help? by the way the turbo is B/N 1000 kms ago the vac pump pulls 30 inches at idle however there is No real vac at the actuator...a vac guge hooked to actuator vacuum only trembles at zero......I\ll attach my invoice ...thnks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
that could be very easy,, so head has been off and common and believe me the first time i done this it was a 2 hour back track and testing session hmmm,, so mini/psa in their stupid design muppets designed a vac expansion tank that lives under the inlet manifold hidden way down the rear of engine at the back under the drive shaft as such can gain access remove drivers wheen and reach in and find the two vac small pipes that push on to the tank,, the design is they have put these vac pipe connections in a recess under where oil always collects so the rubber vac pipe swell and pull off on intermittently lose boost or just know boost,, i spray area with brake cleaner and refit vac pipes.,,,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike...I can see you really know these cars and I was actually hoping you would reply after see some of your other answers in the forums.....again, thanks a million for the insight I'll let ya know what I find in a few days ...All the Best to ya!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
no probs i do try and answer as many as i can but not all just the tech ones, its when the inlet manifold gets moved it pulls them off from that tank as pipes go stretched form oil on the rubber ends,, on mine i cable tied them and cable tied a plastic cover i made up to prevent oil from dropping down in to recess from the pcv breather pipe,, was funny as car drove ok ish after a rebuild,, since then i've had it on rolling road and mapped it got 206bhp at wheels but piled power mid range really makes a big difference can drive around in 6th gear 40mph up hill it still pulls well lol. or when nailed hit the rev limiter through first 4 gears and just keeps pulling lol,, my mates golf gti cant live with it lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no probs i do try and answer as many as i can but not all just the tech ones, its when the inlet manifold gets moved it pulls them off from that tank as pipes go stretched form oil on the rubber ends,, on mine i cable tied them and cable tied a plastic cover i made up to prevent oil from dropping down in to recess from the pcv breather pipe,, was funny as car drove ok ish after a rebuild,, since then i've had it on rolling road and mapped it got 206bhp at wheels but piled power mid range really makes a big difference can drive around in 6th gear 40mph up hill it still pulls well lol. or when nailed hit the rev limiter through first 4 gears and just keeps pulling lol,, my mates golf gti cant live with it lol
Hahaha!....another maniac...oops I mean "assertive" driver..lol....nice to hear I'm not the only one who hits the rev limiter....Its amazing how how fast the engine tachs when everything everything lines up......your message?...did you remap the ecu?....I\ve been lookin at OBD chips as as a more affordable alternative but it would seem all or most are junk/scam....yet the idea of OBD tuning has been around quite a while...you would think eventually someone could tap in to the OBD.....II've looked at lots and most I would not trust just judging by the website and lack of detail........actually if I had any sense at all I would leave well enough alone....but when it comes to engines and power i just have to 'poke the hornets nest...whadda ya think of this one?Chip tuning by the pros - Enhanced performance, engineered in Germany

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
i do work for a rolling road tuner when not on corona lockdown so yep its fairly easy they got direct obd software so can be mapped direct to ecu on rolling road which what was done to this one we mapped it so moved the rev limit up and then flattened the curve so got good torque mid range is really strong,, i rebuilt the motor 1000 mile ago as well so was mapped with barely 200 miles on it so were a tad careful with throwing to much power at it,, when i get back its having a strong one added should see 240bhp ish safely as its got cat done as well, it burbles on over runs and screams in first 4 gears, not a fan of piggy pack boxes or tuning boxes,, theres nothing wrong with generic map but best mapping is rolling road for that car as such

1 - 6 of 6 Posts