MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

i'm coming from a Cooper D as i used to do around 750 miles a week to work. I'm now 'only' doing 450 a week.

I've always fancied the Cooper S. I've seen one for a fairly good spec for around 15k.

Just want people's opinions on running costs? I know the MCS has a 50 litre tank so it's not quite apple to apples.

Any thoughts people? Otherwise i might go the dull and boring route of getting a diesel yaris :(

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
450 miles in my JCW would cost £90 in fuel... so, if I was regularly doing the sort of mileage you're talking about, I'd be splashing out £360/month in petrol.

If you ask me, that would be £360 well spent if it meant I didn't have to drive around in a diesel Yaris. :p

Obviously you'll get better MPG in a standard S, especially if you drive sensibly... but at the end of the day, it depends how much you're willing to spend on running costs.

I would argue that the fun factor of the Cooper S would easily outweigh the frugality of a boring diesel. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for your comments. they're much appreciated! :)

Yeh, still undecided about it. £360/month for me isn't too bad :)

Actually, i was considering the BMW 1 series diesel as it's pretty nippy and frugal too.. so boring the interior though :( Been too spoilt with the nice interior of my cooper D as it has the sat nav too.

Speaking of which, anyone find the non-sat nav MINI's a little boring? (i don't mean to offend anyone here).

·
3 JWL
105 Posts
It will depend more on your right foot than the car. My '07 MCS averaged 36.16 mpg over its 29,047 miles in 2 years; very few short runs but moments of spirited driving. So, 450 miles will use 12.5 gallons or 56.5 litres at, say, 123.9p per litre - £70 per week, £303 per month. I use Tesco 99 most of the time.

My JCW is at 34.82 mpg at the moment... including 14mpg on track days!

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
i dont think 450 miles a week is too bad, 22,00 a year. I do between 23-25k a year and im only a student! lol depending on what fuel i have and how im driving i can get between 33-43mpg, which, is achievable in a R56 S.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi , I put £50 the other week and got 300miles in my cooper s round town ( not to long before keep changing in and out of 2nd , 3rd and 4th depending on traffic.
Howeve last week forgot my cash card , so only put 330 in and did a run of 100miles in one day , at the mo im on 190miles and 160 showing in reserve ( if got half of that and i got say? 270 il be chuffed with that for £30

def cooper s good on a run

spoke to a workman today and he asked about my car and he got a 04 or 07 plate 1600 and he said only getting 270 on a full tank.

·
Registered
849 Posts
God, I must drive like a real girl! My R56 MCS with JCW tuning kit averages about 40mpg. On a nice long run I've got 46 mpg (calculated, not on-board computer).
I need to put my foot down a bit, don't I ?

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
I get 225 miles out of £35 worth of petrol in my 09 Cooper S. Most of this is town driving.
It astonishes me how economical this car is for the performance.
I'll be getting the JCW in a couple of months time, which is not much worse.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Forget the fuel consumption, can you live with the depreciation?

I don't know how long you would hope to keep it for but my concerns would be two fold: how long the turbocharged Prince engine would last at 25,000 miles a year and how little it would be worth with 90,000 miles in 3 years.

Buyers love to choose from the many low mileage, little used, examples available (such as your 15,000 mile example); those with north of 50,000 miles (especially 90,000 miles) will be shunned. Factor monster depreciation into your calculations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts