MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine tech question. I'm an experienced engine builder, just never built one of these little guys before. Just got a fixer upper, 2008 with a naturally aspirated twin cam engine. What is it's eng code designation for when I order parts and, why so many head gasket thicknesses and how do I determine which thickness I need? Perplexed!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
head gasket thickness ie notch 1 to 4 4 being the thickness and 1 being factory stock size, so if head has been or needs skimming engine builder will tell you what has been removed form head surface and gasket size to suit, most engine re builders will just fit a notch 4 even when they have only lightly skimmed the head, because it lowers the stress on the engine slightly so as to lower compression ratio but increase displacement slightly, engine and tuners do this trick as well as increases the amount of oxy and petrol molecules and helps cool and increases burn more controlled etc,
below link for prince engines as yours is, its used in Citroen and pug psa cars, sometimes cheaper to buy parts as a pug than a mini as all the same

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine tech question. I'm an experienced engine builder, just never built one of these little guys before. Just got a fixer upper, 2008 with a naturally aspirated twin cam engine. What is it's eng code designation for when I order parts and, why so many head gasket thicknesses and how do I determine which thickness I need? Perplexed!
head gasket thickness ie notch 1 to 4 4 being the thickness and 1 being factory stock size, so if head has been or needs skimming engine builder will tell you what has been removed form head surface and gasket size to suit, most engine re builders will just fit a notch 4 even when they have only lightly skimmed the head, because it lowers the stress on the engine slightly so as to lower compression ratio but increase displacement slightly, engine and tuners do this trick as well as increases the amount of oxy and petrol molecules and helps cool and increases burn more controlled etc,
below link for prince engines as yours is, its used in Citroen and pug psa cars, sometimes cheaper to buy parts as a pug than a mini as all the same
Awesome, thought maybe something like this but wanted to make sure. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
another little tip if hone the bores i done them once with a stone tool and it used oil for fair while after, next time i attached scotch brire pads course to the 3 stones and used this to hone the bores and worked a treat great compression and oil use was no more than you would expect,
hone tool i use
scotch brite
works a treat ie cable tie the pads to the arms after cutting to shape as such

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another little tip if hone the bores i done them once with a stone tool and it used oil for fair while after, next time i attached scotch brire pads course to the 3 stones and used this to hone the bores and worked a treat great compression and oil use was no more than you would expect,
hone tool i use
scotch brite
works a treat ie cable tie the pads to the arms after cutting to shape as such
Interesting, thanks mate!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
above set best way as will need two different sizes for the head bolts as 3 are smaller around the timing chain area also will need them timing chain etc,

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
there is a hidden torx fixing under the inlet cam vanos oil solenoid at back of engine seen people undo all the bolts so they thought to lever the head and snap the casting off, also will need special lock tools for timing chain YOU CAN NOT TIME THESE ENGINES WITHOUT THEM, if you do buy a lottery ticket. also there is a updated thermostat housing worth doing at same time has a 4 pin connector, cam bolts must be replaced and crank bolts, 20nm plus 90 plus 90 is what i do on them some books say 20nm plus 180 i prefer to let bolt rest by 3 stages, the crank bolt 40nm plus 120 but to get 120n its a 5 ft breaker bar at least or i just use a dewalt 1/2 drive impact gun with 1650nm of force and mark the socket to 120 degrees it never coming off

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
also if head off you must check valve guides and deffo do stem seals they fail for a past time after 70k you will be so angry to spend on gasket and new head bolts etc and timing chain kit deffo do that as well while in there below is a kit worth doing,

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
i known they are pain sometimes i will weld a bar on them pull them out grind it off again, very thin flat screw drive and keep working them tends to work, could blob some jb weld on tops and a lever bar can be cleaned off later, can reuse them and use a dad of tiger seal as this will never leak after,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was told this engine had a blown head gasket, have dismantled the engine and very difficult to confirm head gasket was the problem. Engine was full of coolant, is there any common problems should be looking for, so far haven't found any cracks but don't know where to look. Is a 2008 twin cam, no turbo car.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
could send head for crack testing but this only checks for cold and heat will open up cracks if any, i would of tested it before taking apart ie sniff tester, if positive test and nothing on gasket then would need to treat head as cracked,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts