MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to confirm this soon. I found out from a friend at the local MINI dealership that building of the 09 cabrio will start in December. He also said that puts the first 2nd generation cabrios ready for delivery in March 2009. Of course, this could change. But hopefully sooner, not later.

If anymore info on ordering, pricing, launch dates, colors, etc. surfaces ... please post.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I am hoping to confirm this soon. I found out from a friend at the local MINI dealership that building of the 09 cabrio will start in December. He also said that puts the first 2nd generation cabrios ready for delivery in March 2009. Of course, this could change. But hopefully sooner, not later.

If anymore info on ordering, pricing, launch dates, colors, etc. surfaces ... please post.
Might be worth merging this post with the other threads on the R57? Otherwise I (for one!) am going to get confused......

Ian

PS - Have been advised by my dealer not to expect my new Cabrio until April - presumably this is because the LHD modesl will run off the production line a bit after the RHD launch models......

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts

Well. makes it more expensive so you sell less, its heavier so performance suffers, more complex to manufacture and service , repairs and insurance costs go up and you loose what boot space there is completely when the roof is down. So all good reasons for messing up a proven and well subscribed customer base really :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Well my ohh my!! I was going to probably buy a MINI in March 09 anyway!! So me thinks this is an absolute must!! I suppose you have to pre-order these? :) Anyway when we went on the MINI Factory Tour last weekend one of my people who went, said they peeked at the new Cabrio but it was just that; so it seems it's on the cards :)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Well. makes it more expensive so you sell less, its heavier so performance suffers, more complex to manufacture and service , repairs and insurance costs go up and you loose what boot space there is completely when the roof is down. So all good reasons for messing up a proven and well subscribed customer base really :rolleyes:
Hear, hear, Goonery! But then again, a tin-top roof would probably not wear out quite as quickly as a fabric one!! ;) :eek:

Ian

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I was told that if I put my deposit now, US spec Mini Cooper S Cabrio, that I might be able to have the vehicle in February at the earliest. We would be using the 2008 model to initially chose the options and features. MINI is not making the 08 Cabrio any longer. They are just selling the remaining stock. So, things look good to have a left hand drive MCSC by February March 09.

What's the usual time to make the specification details available for the cars in general? Does that happen before or at the same time as when the model is "launched?"

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
So I was told that if I put my deposit now, US spec Mini Cooper S Cabrio, that I might be able to have the vehicle in February at the earliest. We would be using the 2008 model to initially chose the options and features. MINI is not making the 08 Cabrio any longer. They are just selling the remaining stock. So, things look good to have a left hand drive MCSC by February March 09.

What's the usual time to make the specification details available for the cars in general? Does that happen before or at the same time as when the model is "launched?"
February? That sounds like good news - I had heard April. Problem is, I have a colleague at work who really, really wants to buy my cabrio now......

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cabrio launch depends on driver side

Honestly, if your colleague wants to buy your cabrio, he should. He would have bought new by now if he had the money. So, get a fair price for it the car and then put in for the 09 model. do you have a second vehicle you can drive?

Plus, I don't know the policy, but it seems that US Military sales of US spec MINIs happens sooner than the right side drive versions. That might explain why you have heard April in stead of March or February.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Honestly, if your colleague wants to buy your cabrio, he should. He would have bought new by now if he had the money. So, get a fair price for it the car and then put in for the 09 model. do you have a second vehicle you can drive?

Plus, I don't know the policy, but it seems that US Military sales of US spec MINIs happens sooner than the right side drive versions. That might explain why you have heard April in stead of March or February.
Thanks for that! Alas, I don't have another car I could use in the meantime (not even another MINI). Maybe I need to negotiate a long loan from my dealer.....

I'm also in the marketplace for a LHD version, and had assumed that the first cars off the production line would all be right-handers for the UK market, with the rest of us having to wait a few more weeks (even if I ordered a LONG, LONG time ago!).

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will be my first new car, I've always driven used...

Thanks for that! Alas, I don't have another car I could use in the meantime (not even another MINI). Maybe I need to negotiate a long loan from my dealer.....

I'm also in the marketplace for a LHD version, and had assumed that the first cars off the production line would all be right-handers for the UK market, with the rest of us having to wait a few more weeks (even if I ordered a LONG, LONG time ago!).
Just wanted to get you out of the indecision. Waiting may be the best (or only logical) thing you can do at this point. Truly, Good luck with that!
I can't help the excitement I feel about the r57... since I drive a Ford Explorer 1995! The upgrade in drive experience will be so welcome when the day finally arrives. I just posted in the lounge to see if the admins will create a new r57 forum. Like you said, it would help alleviate the confusion looking for r57 info.

I too thought that UK would have first dibs on the new models. The whole policy on what launches and when is truly a mystery to me. Hopefully, before the summer is over, it will be possible to see the spec sheets for the r57 and start planning what options we can chose from.

·
MINI on the brain!!!
1,510 Posts
oooh its all sooo exciting... can't wait to see the new look R57 :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts