MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 09 clubman a with only 87,000km (54,000miles) and my timing chain broke out of nowhere. It's been quoted at a $7-10k engine replacement which I dont feel is worth it. What should I do?

·
Registered
189 Posts
What engine is in an '09 Clubman S?

Effectively though your options will be the same regardless:-

1) rebuild what you have (you'll need to strip to see what the damage is)

or

2) replace with engine from breakers.

If you don't want to fix it you can try to recoup some money by selling the car as is. If you're not able to do the work yourself this could end up being the most cost effective option. Depends on the cost of a second hand engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What engine is in an '09 Clubman S?

Effectively though your options will be the same regardless:-

1) rebuild what you have (you'll need to strip to see what the damage is)

or

2) replace with engine from breakers.

If you don't want to fix it you can try to recoup some money by selling the car as is. If you're not able to do the work yourself this could end up being the most cost effective option. Depends on the cost of a second hand engine.
I personally dont have the skill or know how to fix it myself. I've been told by the shop to rebore the engine will be about 5 grand which seems pricey to me and to get a refurbished engine it would cost me 7 to 10 grand

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've not heard of the 'RB6' but I presume we're talking about the 1.6 turbo petrol 175BHP engine?

Can these be rebored? I've not taken one of these apart yet so had presumed they had cast in liners like most modern aluminium blocks.

Has it been stripped yet to find out the extent of the damage?

Also, I would choose a low mileage from a breakers over a rebuilt (by someone else) engine any time. Obviously I'd change the timing change on the salvage engine while it was out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm in the UK so not well placed to advise. Usual rule of thumb here I would say take value of car before fault (be realistic), knock off price of a replacement engine from a salvage yard, knock off another 1 to 2K on a car of this sort of age. I don't know the (Canadian?) market though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in the UK so not well placed to advise. Usual rule of thumb here I would say take value of car before fault (be realistic), knock off price of a replacement engine from a salvage yard, knock off another 1 to 2K on a car of this sort of age. I don't know the (Canadian?) market though.
Thanks the £ to CAD is about the same. With that the car is only worth a grand

·
Registered
189 Posts
What exactly was the quote for? was it for a new engine or to install one from a breakers? It's not clear in your posts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think there's something getting lost in translation here :D. The quotes for a replacement engine, are they for a new engine or are they for one from a breakers?

·
Registered
514 Posts
THere is usually no need for a rebore. WHen the chain gives out, it wrecks some valves by bending them. This calls for a head off, valve replacement. You can get a pressure test done on all cylinders to find out before you remove the head if any and which valves are damaged.
Paying an indie garage to repair would still run to a lot of money but you might get away with new chain and guides/sprocket. Valve replacement on some cylinders. Don't panic, start with the cylinder pressure test and maybe not at the garage that is quoting you for a new engine (that is crazy talk)...find an independent that knows Mini engines.
PS breaker is where cars go to die or become donors :)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
lost count the amount of slipped chains and rarely snapped chains, the most common is the chain snaps to a point where the tensioner cant deal with it and the chain lashes around on and off throttle until it snaps top guide off,, or rarely the vac pump on end of exhaust cam shaft fails and prevents the camshaft from spinning freely and also takes out the timing,,, they fit same engine ie Peugeot Citroen ie gti or thp so all parts tranfer between them, ie and i do this all the time as is cheaper buy a bare engine with no sensor etc on it off a breaker for same year psa car by far the cheapest way forward if cant repair the engine it self,, hmmm not had one yet that was not fixable,,, as for reboring them etc 150k miles engine then yep would prob rebuild or replace it, if under 120k would remove head replace the bent valves stick a chain kit on it, as yes they bend valves but they only bend them not snap off and dont do the stems or the valve seats i have repaired a lot they do repair,, the best bit of advise is use a tech or get info off someone there that knows what they are doing and not like they think they know what they are doing etc,, if you do find a replacement engine get them to fit a new timing chain kit FAI do a good value kit on ebay, genuine fitment kits are made by febi bilsteen, there is a updated tensioner its longer but a bmw mini only part but is better,, below pics show the difference

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just cke
7-10 for engine replacement and 5k to rebore and replace the broken valves
How much does it costs to replace a similar car in Canada?

Is 7-10K for new engine from BMW/MINI as I read it's the going rate a few years back to get OEM replacement in the USA.

For the amount of money I'm sure you can get the engine forged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts