MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you are out there, having owned a MINI previously?

Or not having owned a MINI too;)

Interested in the diesel version more than anything, what can you tell me about the engine, is it tunable for more power?

Just wondering, oh and don't think I am defecting, its out of interest for other reasons:)

·
*Merry Prankster*
20,778 Posts
which engine Rakey, the 118 or 120?

both are the same engine, with different tunes. I know the 120 can be further tuned, because the same engine was offered to Land Rover for the new Freelander in a higher state of tune ;)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the 120 today as a loaner, and its my preferred one, but both really, can the 120 be taken further?

·
*Merry Prankster*
20,778 Posts
I had the 120 today as a loaner, and its my preferred one, but both really, can the 120 be taken further?
Beemer have had the block running at 180 bhp ;)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beemer have had the block running at 180 bhp ;)
There's plenting of companies out there now offering the diesel tuning boxes, which work to good effect ;)

This company have a list of all the two litre models in their various guises and outputs, and what they can be taken to ;)

Bmw Diesel Tuning Performance No1
Interesting, cheers guys, so a bag full of stuff that can be done by means of a tune, so probably even more versatile than an R56 MINI petrol engine, hmmm

·
*Merry Prankster*
20,778 Posts
Its a lot of torques though......you petrol boys might not be able to handle them :p

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a lot of torques though......you petrol boys might not be able to handle them :p
I liked them yesterday, and think the 120 engine actually felt better than the R56 MCS for grunt:)

Just a shame its stuck in that bodyshell at the moment:(

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I liked them yesterday, and think the 120 engine actually felt better than the R56 MCS for grunt:)

Just a shame its stuck in that bodyshell at the moment:(
the 120d Sport I had pulled like a train & I certainly miss that when I'm driving my Cooper on the M'way. I do hope that they switch it across to the Cooper D sometime in the future, now that would be immense!! :D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Know what you mean, Gems Cooper feels flat as a witches chesticle, after driving the Mundano.
Also with the way diesel prices are heading it seems the me that its going to be more a luxury than petrol in the future, so the way to be an elitist of the future is to burn oil rather than drive a JCW;):p

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 120d Sport I had pulled like a train & I certainly miss that when I'm driving my Cooper on the M'way. I do hope that they switch it across to the Cooper D sometime in the future, now that would be immense!! :D
But surely if they did such a move then it would be better than just a Cooper, so might need another badge;)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
But surely if they did such a move then it would be better than just a Cooper, so might need another badge;)
very true... if that was the case though, would MINI bring that out?!?! I ask that because I think it may kill the Cooper D off a little, on the other hand it could complement it :p

But getting back on topic, the 120d handled so well, nicely weighted steering which feels quite responsive on the country roads but still felt positive at higher speeds. I loved it for that :)

·
*Merry Prankster*
20,778 Posts
MCSD or JCWD?

<-----roflmfao @ the flames that the S purists are going to have :D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
very true... if that was the case though, would MINI bring that out?!?! I ask that because I think it may kill the Cooper D off a little, on the other hand it could complement it :p

But getting back on topic, the 120d handled so well, nicely weighted steering which feels quite responsive on the country roads but still felt positive at higher speeds. I loved it for that :)
Don't think the one I had for the day this time had the M sports suspension, so there were a few points that I felt like I was on a boat and got that sick feeling:eek:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts