MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I hinted in another thread that I've had some issues with my 10,000 mile service, but I've not said why because I've been waiting for things to pan out.

I'm not one to gripe but maybe there are some lessons learned here or maybe others have some advice on dealing with this situation. Here's the experience I've been having...

1. I've clocked up to nearly 10,000 miles in my gorgeous :eb: MCS, so I booked her in for the service before I do any more long journeys :rolleyes: :D

2. Fixing the stumble is also long overdue, so I took a technician out and had him witness that when deccelerating in 2nd gear, there's a noticable stumble/stutter/lurch/yo-yo at bang on 2,000rpm. Six months ago they refused to believe me, this time I had them acknowledge that there's a "hesitation" (their word) and it must be fixed.

3. The stress and problems started when my West London dealer all-but refused to finish the service because of the ICE mods in my car. I say ICE mods - I have a Bluetooth kit and iPod Ice:Link both connected to CD Boost. I was told that it "interfered with the diagnostic system" and that to have the 2nd gear stumble fixed I would need to have the Bluetooth Kit and iPod Ice:Link removed by the third party that fitted them.

I argued the toss. A lot. Drive up to Mikey's in Liverpool? No way. The dealer offered to disconnect it for 1-2 hours work @ 150GBP/hour. I refused. Lots of hassle about it being non-BMW gear. I was eventually charged 30GBP+VAT and the ECU was upgraded (also charged, 4GBP for rear wiper + 10GBP+VAT for fitting). I collected my car after 6 days (no courtesy car etc.) to find the windows still squeaked and the stumble wasn't fixed and I'd spent >50GBP for the pleasure :mad:

4. I contacted MINI UK and expressed my dissatisfaction and dismay about the inabilities of my dealer to carry out any sort of Customer Service. Yesterday I was contacted by the dealer (no apology for their attitude and failure to complete the service) and I've taken the car in this morning.

5. I've again reproduced the stumble with the dealer. It was suggested to me that they are "not sure" but "this may be normal Cooper S behaviour". If I've understood other threads on MINI2, this is a fixable issue and they need to get a clue.

I don't know what ECU upgrade they did last week, but its interesting that I found power delivery in 2nd gear much much smoother, but it had no effect on the stumble.
So they've got my MCS for another few days... and they don't seem to know what to do about the stumble but they're going to "have another look".

If this carries on I need to find a competant Service Centre in London, and I will go back to MINI UK... let's hope it doesn't come to that, as my stress is rising again just like last week :(

Thanks again to MINI2, particularly its resident technician(s), for their support. Appreciate it :)

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
You were charged for an ECU upgrade because you had an Ipod fitted?? :eek:

Tell them to feck off :mad: I've replaced the whole head unit in my car and they never said a word to me...

·
Registered
38 Posts
North London ? South London ? Just need to know where to avoid please ?

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
If it's any help....

My car had the "acceleration yo-yo", the "first pull-away after starting stumble", and the "deceleration lurch".

I also had a knocking through the steering (another common MCS fault). I booked the car in to get the steering checked, and also asked them to load v38 software.

The car came back with, "we can't reproduce the steering knock", and we've loaded the software. Cost = £0

The steering is still knocking.....but the v38 is a revelation.........pulls away smoothly....every time.......no yo-yo.....and no lurch.......get them to load this software and it should, I say should, cure the ECU issues.

The "deceleration lurch" is the fuel cut-off.....it's a bit severe in its operation. I suspect the other issues are "fuel metering" related, as it did do both irrespective of engine or air temperature, which would rule air metering out.

So the engine fix should be simple.....a load of v38 should fix it. I'd have though fixing the window would have been elementary.

I think the problem these days, is the technicians plug the diagnostics in, and see what the computer spits out.

They have little or no ability to work the process through to discount potential problems, and come up with solutions.......basically if the computer doesn't give an answer......then there is no solution.

At my dealer it took their "top" technician 4.5 hrs to fit their first set of driving lights.....when I fitted mine it took me 3.0 hrs, and that included time to check, double check and triple check everything.......it does make you wonder! And to add insult to injury these people are charged out at £100 / hr + vat!

Sorry can't help on a dealer in London!

Rant Over!

Robert
(Professional Engineer)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beefy: West London!

wobert: Thanks... didn't think about fuel cut-off. As you say about some techs, you're spot on - they just do what the diagnostic computer tells them to... :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
My car has the lurch problem as well when slowing down. I'd be interested in hearing from people who have got their dealer to fix it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
AUSMINI
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing