MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The counter on my car says I got about 1100 miles left for my service but I only have 6600 or so miles on it. Does this all depend on how I drive it?Also what exaclty do they do in this service? And will it make a difference or will they say something about me installing a K&N Typhoon, spark plug wires and new coil? Should I change them back before I take it in? :silver:

·
Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
They aren't miles, they're units as far as the MINI is concerned. They adjust based on driving conditions, so you've either been having a lot of fun, or sitting in a lot of traffic, but not to worry, its still a covered scheduled maintenance. The first service, incase your MA didn't explain, or you didn't read in your service/warranty info guide is just an oil change. They'll check the brakes and clutch, etc but don't worry about the aftermarket parts.

They won't bother you about any of them UNLESS you try to have them fix something related to those parts under the MINI warranty - the warranty won't cover anything from a 3rd party, or subsequently damaged by the presence of that 3rd party part in your car.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
How about the other way?

I have 9657 miles on my car, and the miles to service says 2200 or so. I had an oil change by the dealer at ~5200 miles.

I drive ~200-225 miles / week and have booked my 10k service for late Nov.

Will my dealer refuse to do my 10k checkup even if my mileage is over 10k?

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Aqualung said:
I have 9657 miles on my car, and the miles to service says 2200 or so. I had an oil change by the dealer at ~5200 miles.

I drive ~200-225 miles / week and have booked my 10k service for late Nov.

Will my dealer refuse to do my 10k checkup even if my mileage is over 10k?

The dealer will do your 10k check-up under warranty when the service lights say it's time. If you go beforehand like you did, it's out-of-pocket. If you go over 10k and still the lights aren't out, then conditions have it that you are running longer without needing it. The dealer will not reset the indicators on any early changes.

For my last service in my 328is (every 7,500 miles), I ran about 7,300. Right now, I am running well over 8,000 miles and still have a full light to go. It's different every time!

·
1,183 Posts
Cooper76 said:
The dealer will do your 10k check-up under warranty when the service lights say it's time. If you go beforehand like you did, it's out-of-pocket. If you go over 10k and still the lights aren't out, then conditions have it that you are running longer without needing it. The dealer will not reset the indicators on any early changes.

For my last service in my 328is (every 7,500 miles), I ran about 7,300. Right now, I am running well over 8,000 miles and still have a full light to go. It's different every time!
Yup, I paid $74 out of pocket for that oil change. But can you clarify "If you go over 10k and still the lights aren't out, then conditions have it that you are running longer without needing it. ", does this mean I'll have to pay OoP? I need to have my winter snows mounted and balanced (which I know will be OoP) and don't want to put it off much later than Nov...

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Aqualung said:
Yup, I paid $74 out of pocket for that oil change. But can you clarify "If you go over 10k and still the lights aren't out, then conditions have it that you are running longer without needing it. ", does this mean I'll have to pay OoP? I need to have my winter snows mounted and balanced (which I know will be OoP) and don't want to put it off much later than Nov...

Unfortunately yes. The dealer won't perform a warranty oil change unless the lights are out or on the final bar. I am not sure how BMW hooked up the MINI lights, but in the BMW, there are five green, one yellow, and one red. They'll change it on red, yellow, or one green. Anything before that is OoP unless you can convince the dealer otherwise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aqualung,
I note you're in Boston. What dealer do you use? I use MINI of Peabody, and they're flexible on the service policy. I just passed 10,000 miles (am now at 10,400), but my service counter say I have another 1200 miles to go. I called and spoke to my MA and he said no problem, they will perform the service anytime after 10,000 miles on the clock. So try calling your shop and asking (or taking the car to Peabody). My car goes in next week.

·
1,183 Posts
JeffM said:
Aqualung,
I note you're in Boston. What dealer do you use? I use MINI of Peabody, and they're flexible on the service policy. I just passed 10,000 miles (am now at 10,400), but my service counter say I have another 1200 miles to go. I called and spoke to my MA and he said no problem, they will perform the service anytime after 10,000 miles on the clock. So try calling your shop and asking (or taking the car to Peabody). My car goes in next week.
Yup, same place. Thanks, I did just that, I'm booked for the middle of Nov, so they can put my snow tires on too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.