MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are you as tired as I am at looking at the "100% Free of BMW Parts" stickers on old Minis? I have the solution. Fell free to copy it if you like, although I am going to have a batch of them made up for sale soon.

Attachments

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
I cant see whats good about the old mini being free of bmw parts. I aint that banged up on old MINI's, but i kno they did had a rover engine at one point. Which to me, finishes the argument. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
888 Posts
All 'old Minis' had exactly the same engine - the venerable A-Series from the BMC days (later to become Rover of course).

I like to remind people with these stickers that all Classic Minis from 1996 onwards only exist because of a substantial investment BMW Made in the car to keep it going those crucial extra years.

·
Life is not a Rehearsal
1,491 Posts
Why bite, thats what they want :confused:

I have friends who drive classics and have taken banter from them for having a new MINI, however they then went on to work for BMW.

There are those out there who will find any reason to have a go at new MINI owners, so don't give them an excuse :D

·
World Wide Flying Ace
830 Posts
lightbody said:
All 'old Minis' had exactly the same engine - the venerable A-Series from the BMC days (later to become Rover of course).

I like to remind people with these stickers that all Classic Minis from 1996 onwards only exist because of a substantial investment BMW Made in the car to keep it going those crucial extra years.
I am a classic fan, but some people seem to forget that Rover for many years, treated the mini as a poor relation. As was posted elsewhere a while ago, no matter how much nostalgia anyone has for the classic mini, it would not be the car it is at the moment had Rover built it.
What really annoys me on some of the other mini forums is that the people who are most vocal in their dislike of the MINI, haven't even bloody driven one.

·
World Wide Flying Ace
830 Posts
Perhaps we should all get stickers that say '100% free of predjudice'

OR '100% free of narrow minded :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad:s' for the less tolerant among us.... :D :p

·
Registered
836 Posts
how about 100% free of caring? I like the old minis, but that attitude doesn't suit them, have to say though, in these parts they wave and smile as much as the new minis, which granted isn;t much, but Ive never really heard abuse from anyone, a mate of mines sister drives a classic we slag eachother equally so that doesn't count :)

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Searches work wonders

If you were to do a search on this topic you would find it has been covered ad nauseum. :rolleyes:

Just let them carry on stewing in their own bitterness, once you join in their game they have won as anything you do will only alienate more classic owners.

Oh, and why would we want to copy an ad for 25cent stickers? :confused:

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Baz F said:
Perhaps we should all get stickers that say '100% free of predjudice'

OR '100% free of narrow minded :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad:s' for the less tolerant among us.... :D :p
hahaha :D

Love it :p

Id buy one lol

·
World Wide Flying Ace
830 Posts
Mike Clarke said:
If you were to do a search on this topic you would find it has been covered ad nauseum. :rolleyes:

Just let them carry on stewing in their own bitterness, once you join in their game they have won as anything you do will only alienate more classic owners.

Oh, and why would we want to copy an ad for 25cent stickers? :confused:
I know this isn't a new subject but the hostility still exists. I'm a member of a couple of classic forums, one welcoming and one not so, and find myself in the defensive position more often than I like.
Much as I would like to let it all roll off my back it still provokes somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction in me occasionally. I know I should be 'each to their own' but once in a while it becomes 'tell someone who gives a :bad::bad::bad::bad:'
I'm just a little weary of the dislike on principle mentality.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I remember back in '98 seeing Rover Minis with "extras" on dealers forecourts stickered up at nearly eleven thousand pounds, eleven grand for an ancient, underpowered, overweight, asthmatic clunker with "charm" as it's only attribute, what's that about!
Far from hiding or being ashamed of the BMW connection, I'm proud of it, I'll flash my BMW dipstick (if you get my drift) at anyone who's even remotely interested and at plenty of people who are'nt.

Right then, your money,on your driveway right now?
Eleven grand Rover MIni,
Rover Streetwise (surely their darkest hour, I mean you just would'nt would you)
or
New Mini Cooper.

Now where's my "Crammed full of Beemer bits" sticker. :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't get it. Who cares where the parts come from? These nationalistic disputes leave me scratching my head. I must be missing something. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
I prefer the 100% Mini lover approach !..... this bitterness will live on for many a year, I have a classic, which I quite fancy putting a sticker on saying.... my other mini is a MINI....

you only have to read the letters page in miniworld or mini mag to see at least someone spouting about BMW MINI's every month.... I'm surprised the editor hasnt drawn a line under it and refused to print any more letters that fuel the arguement...

I'd love my MINI even if it was made by someone else, the design is spot on and I dont care who builds it or owns it or designed it.... after all at least its still built int the UK providing Jobs in Oxford !.....

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Rick Anderson said:
Sorry guys, my photo link didn't work. The stickers I had made say "100% Free of Lucas Parts." Here is a link if it works: http://a5.cpimg.com/image/FB/73/37548795-7081-024601E1-.jpg

I just made them as a joke since I see so many of the other. BTW, I have both Minis - a '68 and an '04.
Careful with that one Rick, I can see you upsetting a few Star Wars fans :D

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
I love old Minis, but as a long distance commuting car they simply aren't viable for me, and not safe enough either (if the Metro only got one star in its crash test, the Mini would have had no chance!)

Went to see a Mini place to pick up some parts, it was mainly for Classic Minis and the guy goes 'So you've got a BMW then?' and I said 'Yes, lovely isn't it?' And he goes 'they're great cars, to be honest, if I could afford one I'd have one too!' Well I rest my case.

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
I drove nothing but classic minis for 13 years and love them to bits still, but when it its the only car in the family and you got two kids, the safety and bigger cabin/boot space become more important(oh and reliability). MINI has enabled me to carry on with my love of Minis while being a bit more up to date. I just love the way the fuel gauge actually tells you have much petrol you have !

·
UberGeek
850 Posts
I had a bit of fun on this subject last year (there's numerous threads...)

I purchased one of the '100% BMW Free' stickers, and adapted it :D (see attached)

-Lee

PS: Yes, I know that 'our' MINI's aren't completely BMW; it was just a bit of fun that lasted a week or two ;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
19 Participants
J3T
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing