MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just took a long 1000 mile trip in my mini this week. it was great. spending 12+ hours in the car i noticed a few things. first off its a 2005 cooper, 5 spd manual with 2500 miles. first thing is when i'm cruising at 80mph there is a sort of high pitch whining sound that comes from the engine or the transmission, especially when i let go of the gas. what is that?

second thing and more important, is halfway through the trip i noticed a crackling sound coming from my windshield. it progressivly got worse. at time it sounded like the whole windshield was going to crack and blow right in. when i apply pressure on the middle top of the windshield on the outside or inside of the car it also makes this crackling noise. the weather strip seal looks ok on the top of the windshield but when i push on the weather seal it makes a loud creaking sweeking noise. anybody have any clue what is happening here. the windshield makes this crackling noise at 5 mph all the way to 80+mph. and it seriously sounds like the window is going to fracture and crack at any moment. anybody heard of this before??????

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you do a search you will many threads that include experiences of windshields cracking and being replaced. It seems it was common problem for the early years....I did a quick search and didn't find anything about a noisy windshield...just cracking!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine mini is a 2003 Cooper S and I have the thing happend to you too.
I can hear that high pitch whing noise coming from either the engine or the transmission when I speed up ( as I hit around 2500 rpm) especially when the car is running out of gas.

I toke my car for a check and the technicians there just can't help coz they can't replicate that noise on that day...

I wanna know what that is too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
When I first got my Mini one night I did some high speed driving and noticed the cracking sound, it really freaked me out. I'm not sure what the reason was but it has not done it since. It might be because the car is new and the parts (ie windshield) is still bedding down. Just my 2c

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
yep i'd concur with adam - if its a really new car it could be the windscreen bedding in

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about this problem with your windshield. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI and mention Reference # 200433700170 so that we can help you more efficiently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts