MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's car has two issue, the first of which I thought I'd fixed.

Issue 1 – The boot has started to randomly open when she either puts the key in the car or start the engine.

I read online about a bung in the boot which causes water to remain in there, I’ve removed the bung and water did come out but it was still randomly doing it a few days later. How does water even get in the boot door?
The advice was to leave the bung out which I have done.

Issue 2 – The car won’t start.

This first happened about a week ago, the wife tried to drive the car in the morning but it would not start. A neighbour tried to use jumper leads but this did not work. When I came home in the evening the car started first time without any issue. This morning it happened again but this time I was home to see it for myself, what happens is as soon as the key is placed in the holder there is a clicking sound like something is trying to happen, I’ve not even tried pressing start at this point. It’s not the battery as the radio came on when I pressed the power button for it. When the start button is pressed nothing happens, just the same clicking sound as before.

A few hours later this morning, the wife tried to start the car again (it's been left untouched on the drive since it failed) and it started up first time again, it's like something has "dried out" as it rained last night but the sun's out now.

Could both issues be related?

It's still under Warranty but getting close to the end so I'm making sure it's definitely fixed before it runs out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it's taken a long time but Issue 2 has randomly happened again.

She drove the car to a local town, left it for around 2-3 hours and come back and it won't start. The radio comes on but it refuses to start, however I know if I wait a few hours it will start again no problems. She's called the AA to get here home but I'm bemused at to what is causing this randomness.

I did think it was rain related but we've had many rainy days in the last few months and it's been fine every time.

Issue 1 was fixed by removing the bung and letting water out, assuming this had fixed issue 2 but obviously not.

Any ideas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts