MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have searched about for this with little success so here goes. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read. I will try and be concise:

I have recently bought a pre-owned 2007 Mini One. I have bought a USB adapter for the Cigarette Lighter only to find the socket doesn't seem to work.

Have searched about and have been told that the fuse is F32.... Then F44...shows the horn in the fuse box. Nope. Have looked at the diagram in the cover of the footwell and there is no icon for cigarette lighter at all.

Have also discovered there are slots which are empty but the cover shows they should not be. The cover shows an icon that I cannot identify. The slots are F2, F4, F41. The picture is like some kind of curved pipe (?) with a knob on the end!!

I am confused and now aware this isn't concise.....my cigarette lighter does not work and I want to check the fuse. The manual is no use at all. Does the cigarette lighter have a conventional fuse?!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

George

:oops:

· Registered
13,582 Posts
my cigarette lighter was not working and fuse cover was the same . When I checked my fuse panel I noticed I was missing fuse 38 and installed a 15amp fuse in and my cigarette lighter began working. 44 is aux socket

Reactions: GRS-ONE

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my cigarette lighter was not working and fuse cover was the same . When I checked my fuse panel I noticed I was missing fuse 38 and installed a 15amp fuse in and my cigarette lighter began working. 44 is aux socket
Thanks for the reply Mike. Appreciated. My 38 appears to have a 30 amp in there...

From reading other posts, the diagram covers seem to vary wildly. Is yours a mini one 2007?

· Registered
13,582 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mike. Appreciated. My 38 appears to have a 30 amp in there...

From reading other posts, the diagram covers seem to vary wildly. Is yours a mini one 2007?
i've owned and worked on many over the years still repair them now, stu has some really good points,
think your best bet is probe the socket for volts and probe the earth for return at socket then work backwards the joys of electrical faults sometimes can torment the best of us lol, aint that right stu

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both. Yep.... I will have to do my research on how do what you suggest above. I am not really a practical man regrettably. If you could point me at some guides or YouTube videos I will love you forever. :cry::cry::eek:(y)

· Registered
443 Posts
i've owned and worked on many over the years still repair them now, stu has some really good points,
think your best bet is probe the socket for volts and probe the earth for return at socket then work backwards the joys of electrical faults sometimes can torment the best of us lol, aint that right stu
I'm saving it all up for a thread,soon as everything is sorted, only naming the good people that have hung in there ?

· Registered
13,582 Posts
below link so cheap and will do what you need it to do,
one link
how to check for earth and live etc,
IMPORTANT THE LIVE IS THE MIDDLE OF SOCKET AND EARTH IS THE OUTER METAL PART

· Registered
13,582 Posts
I'm saving it all up for a thread,soon as everything is sorted, only naming the good people that have hung in there ?
yep i know bud its been a journey perfect storm for you, glad i proved myself right ie when i said we will sort it lol

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for getting involved with this both.

Yep to the ignition. Former owner says he "never got round" to changing the fuse...but now I think it flummoxed him also. I read something about there not actually being a fuse for the cigarette, something about a relay and you need to look behind the fuse box?!

All I know is the pictures in the flap do not show a smoking cig!

Will have to investigate tomorrow. Will look at vids at that now. Thanks again.

As I say my 38 slot has a 30 in it... If, as Mike says, this should be a 15... could it be that straightforward?! Or is that mega wishful thinking?

:rolleyes:(y)(y)(y):love:

· Registered
13,582 Posts
no if a un-blown 30amp in there then that is fine but still worth pulling that fuse and try another in the slot as i have before come across those spade fuses can crack internally and i have a few times got caught out by them ie you think the fuse is ok by viewing it and its not,, there are 4 or 5 large fuses under the fuse box under bonnet not come across the lighter being effected by thees but could be worth checking, bmw'mini played around a fair bit with electronics over the early years

· Registered
13,582 Posts
According to the wiring diagram it should be fuse F42 in the footwell fuse box (20A).

I'd also suggest probing for power at the centre of the socket to ensure it's not just a mismatch between plug and car.
which wiring diagram thats the problem they change things around it would seem between different spec levels etc, ie the body control modules are all same for a clubman say for pre face lift cars but depending on the spec levels the programming of them is different ie why cant inter change them with out reprogram on new one, or a secondhand clone must be same spec levels for it to match up, F42 or F38 or F44 depending on spec and year etc, might find if cigar lighter has been used a lot for many different things over the years and few over loaded ones that the relay that is switching it on and off when ignition is switched on might be the issue,, and that is soldered in the body control module in between the printed circuit boards good eye sight and good solder iron for small circuit board repairs possible to replace them i can find them as such, ie special relays,
pulling dash apart and trace wiring back might be the only way ie find a live feed and work off that, if is body control module could and i have done this before run a relay and take feed off ignition aux feed for signal wire and run a 20amp feed to relay then to lighter direct,, ie lot cheaper than the £500-£800 for new body control module if that,

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, here's an update should it help anyone else:

It appears it was indeed F42 as Gary says above!!!

Thanks again for everyone's help on this. I'm sure I'll be back here again in the wonderful mysterious world of the Mini.

o_O

· Registered
189 Posts
Mike's quite right above, the fuse does change depending on year, model, spec etc. I should have explained that I was using a database that gives different wiring diagrams/info to account for that. BMWs and MINIs are excellent for having all this information available online.

· Registered
13,582 Posts
Mike's quite right above, the fuse does change depending on year, model, spec etc. I should have explained that I was using a database that gives different wiring diagrams/info to account for that. BMWs and MINIs are excellent for having all this information available online.
i walked in to a wall once with a imported left hand drive one once from spain my theory is the body control modules are programmed differently depending on build sheet as different country's have different rules and laws as to how a car must be thats my theory so on here a USA car would prob not be same as a UK models in many ways and its all top secret it would seem,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.