MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to see if this has been asked and answered before.... (forgive me it has / could not find this question asked)

Do the 12 Volt Cigarette Adapters (in the console, and boot) have voltage all the time, or only when car is on. I have seen vehicles that work both ways...

Thanks,

- MadHatter :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
MadHatter said:
I tried to see if this has been asked and answered before.... (forgive me it has / could not find this question asked)

Do the 12 Volt Cigarette Adapters (in the console, and boot) have voltage all the time, or only when car is on. I have seen vehicles that work both ways...

Thanks,

- MadHatter :p

I guess all cars are the same, but my Cooper S boot charger wont work unless the car ignition is switched...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply N31L.

But I have to ask, what good is the electric refrigerating cooler that Mini sells as an accessory if it only works when the car is on, or key in ignition and turned to aux or whatever the name is of the position that enables electronics when the motor is not running ?

Can anyone that has received their mini please clarify whether the adapters work all the time or only when running/key enabled...

Thanks,

- MadHatter :)

·
Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
THe front for sure only when the car is on. I believe its the same for the rear. The idea is to keep your cooler cool while you're driving to where you're going. Or to keep your drinks cold on a long trip... while you're driving.

There was a thread in here somewhere about a 12v adapter that was installed by the owner that stays on all the time. It connects to a fuse that isn't triggered by the ignition, and constantly has a current available. The thread is in combination with the parcel shelf (as that's where he put it).

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
My front and rear 12V adaptors do not work when the engine is off, that is 100% certain.

I personally believe it is designed this way so that the battery cannot be accidentally drained :)

I could be wrong about this, however, I believe most thermal-electric coolers are desiged to keep pre-chilled/warmed food and drink cold/hot, and not really powerful enough for chill down/warm up during transit. Hence, transient power disconnetion should not be an issue.

For prolong power disruption, then I would advise you to get a stand alone power generator to keep it powered up all the time :)

DK ;) :apple:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replys... Another Question ....

I don't get my car until December 2004, and yesteday I was told by a mini owner that the '05 model does not have a 12 volt socket in the boot starting with 2005 models...

Does anyone know if this is true ? It is not listed on anything I can find...

Thanks,

- MadHatter

·
Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
MadHatter said:
I don't get my car until December 2004, and yesteday I was told by a mini owner that the '05 model does not have a 12 volt socket in the boot starting with 2005 models...

Does anyone know if this is true ? It is not listed on anything I can find...

Thanks,

- MadHatter
The 2003 was the only year not to have one in the boot. They were reintroduced in the '04s and still have them in the '05s. I've got plenty of examples sitting all around me :p

Even the convertibles have one, its just in a different place. For MCC and MCSC owners, run your hand along the inside of the bumper side of the boot (on the driver's side) you'll feel that little black plastic filler cap sitting in the outlet. :D

Good luck with the install DIY effort.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Diverse and BlueCS

Diverse, it is hard to remember when I post things that there are 'compadres' in NZ/Austrailia, UK and so many other locations... Thanks for your two pence worth !

BlueCS, thanks for your clarification... It is a minor thing, but I am a little nervous getting an 05, and hearing rumors about changes from the 04.....

:rolleyes:

Best,

- MadHatter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

If I power my center console 12v outlet with a wire from the battery positive and a
wire from ground; would the power be regulated so that it does not overflow and
damage my charging phone ?

I am doing this because I can not get my outlet to work; even though there is
power coming out of the fuse slots; power does not get to my 12v socket.

Any ideas?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
There are switches that measure the battery voltage and turn off if low. Pricey but better than a flat battery. There are also relays that stay on for a set time. Not as good as monitoring the voltage but a lot cheaper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts