MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,i have ordered my mini one for march.At the moment i have gone for the15"wheels which come with the pepper pack.What i want to know is if these are also runflats.I am thinking about changing the the spec to 16"wheels.I know it will be more bumpy but i have been told they hold the road much better.I am having standard suspension and just wondered if this would make much difference.Would really appreciate your help.I have until 1st january to make up my minid.Thanks

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
The 15" tires will not be run-flats.
I have both 15" & 16" wheels/tires for my Cooper with std. suspension, and the ride is definitely better with the 15".
I believe the biggest difference is the nature of the run-flats - they transmit more shock into the car and cheapen the driving experience from a noise/vibration/harshness standpoint.
On the other hand, the wider tread and lower profile 16" tires provide more lateral grip in the twisties.
Ideally a switch to non run-flat tires on the 16" wheels in a summer performance type like Toyo T1-S or Continental ContiSports would provide a better driving experience.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
15"&16"advice

Thanks for your advice.Could you tell me if the car handles better with16"if going over potholes,driving in wet conditions etc.As car i have at mo has small tyres and is dangerous thats why i want bigger tyres.I know 16"will make the ride bumpier but if it handles better its worth it.Would appreciate your advice many thanks.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
amandachannon said:
Thanks for your advice.Could you tell me if the car handles better with16"if going over potholes,driving in wet conditions etc.As car i have at mo has small tyres and is dangerous thats why i want bigger tyres.I know 16"will make the ride bumpier but if it handles better its worth it.Would appreciate your advice many thanks.
I have an '02 MCS with original Sport suspension +, and standard 16" wheels with run-flats for the spring, summer and fall. The handling is superb but stiff and bumpy. I have a set of the 15" 7-hole wheels with Conti All-season tyres for the winter. The ride is noticably smoother, although I would not call it smooth. The handling is still very good, but not as solid as the 16"s.

I was concerned when I first decided to go for the MCS that the ride would be too stiff for long distance travel. However this has not been the case. In the 2 yrs of ownership my wife and I have taken five trips in excess of 5 hours in each direction with complete comfort, all trips were on the 16" wheels.

If there are many potholes where you are, then that is a totall different question. The 15" wheel with the standard 175/65-15 tyre has a much taller sidewall and can therefore adsorb much greater impact from road hazards than the 16".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
15"&16" advice

Thanks very much for your advice.I really want the 16"but just cant make up my mind.They do look much better than the 15".In the car i have at mo,if i drive over a pothole etc then the steering wheel pulls and if not carefull could lose control.And in wet weather the car is all over the place.Would it be any better with the 16" on do you still get these problems?Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you know that the MINI was designed to run on 16" wheels - smaller ones will give a softer ride because of the additional rubber in the side walls of the tyres, larger ones will be harder for the reverse reason.

The MINI is all about style so go with what you love the look of, I am sure you will love the ride whatever you decide (I went for 16"s on my MOC as I love the standard fit wheels on the MCS - pics of it in my gallary)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
15"&16" advice

Yes,i will love my mini.I loved my test drive and that had 16" wheels but the road was dry.What i want to know is which tyres will handle the road better on wet roads?As dont want to be sliding like some members have mentioned in their threads.I am having a mini one with standard suspension.please help me out,thanks :confused:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
amandachannon said:
Yes,i will love my mini.I loved my test drive and that had 16" wheels but the road was dry.What i want to know is which tyres will handle the road better on wet roads?As dont want to be sliding like some members have mentioned in their threads.I am having a mini one with standard suspension.please help me out,thanks :confused:

15 or 16 inch won't make a difference in wet handling. That's mainly tread design, tire compound, etc.
Many of the threads that are about poor wet ahndling are about worn tires or that some of the brands are worse than other especially on worn tires.
Nobody can say for sure what brand you'll receive.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
What you are saying doesn't seem to be an issue with 15"s or 16"s but with your current car and their tires. You won't have to worry about the MINI going all over the place when you hit a pothole, etc. What car do you drive currently? How much tread do you have left on the tires?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
amandachannon said:
I drive a V/W polo,its just that i have read threads from other members saying that with runflats the ride is really bumpy and that the car slides in wet weather?That is why i have been unable to decide.
I had the Dunlop DSST 5000s and they were actually quite good in the wet. I was pleasantly surprised really.
There are better wet tires but for run flats and normal driving they are quite good.
I never felt them going loose unless I was driving harder than was sensible :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
amandachannon said:
I drive a V/W polo,its just that i have read threads from other members saying that with runflats the ride is really bumpy and that the car slides in wet weather?That is why i have been unable to decide.
I also have the Dunlop DSST 5000 tyres and found them to be excellant in the rain, until they were pretty well worn, down to the last 4/32" or 3.2mm of tread depth. I have some very happy memories of some spirited drives in the rain.

The Sport suspension+ on the '02 MCS was stiffer than what is being delivered todays MCS. The Ones are softer still, so I do not think that you will have any problem with the ride.

As 'obehave' said, you won't have problems with the Dunlops unless you are doing something you really shouldn't be.

The overall capabilities of the MINI are incredible, well beyond the average driver. Certainly much more than is prudent on public roads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I swapped my 15" to 16" (both running run flats) & noticed a difference in handling straight away, the ride is much firmer / harsher, but the improvement in grip is well worth it.

The other thing I noticed was that you do not notice the car roll so much. I have standard suspension and on 15" it did use to roll noticably on tight bends.

Try asking your dealer for a test drive with both set-ups and see what you prefer.

:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
15"&16" advice

Hi there,did you get your non runflats after you bought your car,as i thought minis only came with runflats?Except for the 15" standard.I would be interested to know as i would much prefer the non runflats.Can you let me know as i have until the 1st jan to change specs.Many thanks
Amanda

·
Peoples Republic Of Cork
1,150 Posts
amandachannon said:
Hi there,did you get your non runflats after you bought your car,as i thought minis only came with runflats?Except for the 15" standard.I would be interested to know as i would much prefer the non runflats.Can you let me know as i have until the 1st jan to change specs.Many thanks
Amanda
Hi Amanda.
I ' did a deal ' with my MINI Dealer's parts Manager , he part exchanged the 16" Fin alloys/ runflats which were std with Chilli pack for 16" R90s with 205x50x16 Goodyear Ventura tyres , I had done that deal when I ordered the car and specced a spare wheel as well .I think it is down to the individual parts manager to do this or not .
Gerard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.