MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 MC with standard 15" alloys and the usual non runflats. The handling and ride are great.

However, the car that I use for work has 17" wheels with low profile 225/45 tyres. Whilst the handling is, unavoidably, sloppy (Volvo V70) the reserves of grip are endless!

Consequently, I am considering putting 17" S Spokes on the Cooper, without runflats.
Has anyone else made this change and what, if any, difference did you find that they made to the ride and handling?

Thanks

Tigger

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Ride will be Harsher but then again your not going for Runflats so will be slightly improved-On the positive looks will be better and of course the Grip but bear in Mind the S Spoke is a heavy wheel.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that reply.

I'm a bit undecided, because one of the main reason for having a wheel made from alloy is to reduce unsprung weight and allow the suspension a better chance to work properly. I had forgotten that the S spoke is a heavy wheel, so the performance benefit is probably limited (altough they do look great!).

The best idea is probably to forget the standard look and think about a nice aftermarket light alloy 17" wheel and tyre combination.

Any comments?.....

Tigger.

·
"It's been Emotional"
46 Posts
We swapped to 17's with non-runflats - the ride was a bit harder, but not unbearable (not as harsh as our other car with lowered and stiffened suspension!).

Dont forget to leave a can of tyreweld in the boot, as you won't be carrying a spare!

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
My Cooper has the standard 15" R81's and non-runflats.
Maybe I'm swimming against the tide, but I've just purchased a set of the 16" R84 X-lites (or V-spokes) with the Dunlop run-flats!
I've yet to fit them as they are in transit - hope they get here soon or I wont have much time to try them before the dreaded winter sets in. (snowing like crazy ay the moment, hope it melts)
Have you considered 16" MINI wheels? They are quite a bit lighter than the 17" S-lites and should give performance improvements. I wanted to stick with MINI wheels to avoid using spacers and/or different lug bolts.
Good luck with your upgrade. :)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CooperMax

CooperMax said:
We swapped to 17's with non-runflats - the ride was a bit harder, but not unbearable (not as harsh as our other car with lowered and stiffened suspension!).

Dont forget to leave a can of tyreweld in the boot, as you won't be carrying a spare!
Did you notice much difference in the handling. Was it better, the same or worse?!

Tigger.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minnow

MINNOW said:
My Cooper has the standard 15" R81's and non-runflats.
Maybe I'm swimming against the tide, but I've just purchased a set of the 16" R84 X-lites (or V-spokes) with the Dunlop run-flats!
I've yet to fit them as they are in transit - hope they get here soon or I wont have much time to try them before the dreaded winter sets in. (snowing like crazy ay the moment, hope it melts)
Have you considered 16" MINI wheels? They are quite a bit lighter than the 17" S-lites and should give performance improvements. I wanted to stick with MINI wheels to avoid using spacers and/or different lug bolts.
Good luck with your upgrade. :)
Would you let me know how you get on?

Thanks

Tigger

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I swopped my 15" 8 spokes for a set of 17" S spokes with Yokohama tyres, and I must say the ride is much much better. Really sticks to the road, the handling is superb. Having said that, it could just be my really brilliant driving :p :cool: :rolleyes:

Veronica ;)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have a MCS with 16 x-lites and 17 s-spokes, the car looks better on the 17's and theres a bit more grip, the difference isnt massive and the ride quality isnt really that differnt but there is more of a tendancy for it to tramline on the 17's.
I think to sum up id like the look and grip of the 17's with the lightness of the 16 x-lites and slightly better ride quality.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Tigger :
Received my 16" R84's this past week, and had a chance to fit to my MC yesterday.
Was happy to find out that both front & rear wheels can be changed with the jack located at the front jacking point, made the job go a little quicker.
Took the car for an exploratory run to try out the new wheels and Dunlop SP5000's.
Was careful as the temp. was only a few degrees above freezing and the roads were mostly dry with a few damp patches.
There is a different steering feel with these on, not better or worse necessarily, but different. A little more steering effort is felt just off center, perhaps the car feels not quite as light and nimble.
I selected a nearby on ramp overpass that's about a 135 degree sweeper with the elevation change, and slowed down to let the traffic go ahead of me for a cushion, then accellerated through the gears and found that the car had a more planted feel through the turn. The car gripped throughout and there was no need to get out of the throttle. Reminded me of the planted feel of a Cooper S test drive where the grip appeared limitless. Based on this short test drive I have to say that I prefer the response of the car with the 16's.
There is that oh so slightly "heavier" feel though so I would avoid heavyweight wheels.
I wonder also if the more planted feel in the corners is partly attributable to the stiffer sidewalls of the run-flat Dunlops.
In any event I look forward to the return of summer for more experimental twisties with the R84's, as soon I will re-fit the R81's for winter.
And it doesn't hurt that MINI did a fine job in the styling of the R84's - a good mixture of aggressive and classical looks that suits the car to a tee. And the wider rubber projects out from the wheelwells to provide a "chunkier" look. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts