MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on whether or not get the 16" wheels for my Cooper. I definitely like the look of bigger wheels on a tiny car but I'm a little concerned about the tires. I live in Baltimore with moderate winters and this will be my primary vehicle. Will Performance Run Flat Tires be OK for this or should I wimp out and get the regular wheels with all-weather tires? I can handle the increased cost of replacing the Run-Flats down the road as long as they get decent traction in crumby weather!

Sorry I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm definately not a seasoned "car guy."

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does Size Matter??

When you say crumby weather, are you talking about rain or snow??

If its mainly rain, don't worry about it, sure you have to be a bit more careful when driving through puddles, but hell you should be anyway.

I suspect if you get snow its for a month or so at the most. In this case again you will probably be ok unless you drive through alot of virgin snow. If this is the case you are probably better off getting 16's for most of the year and getting a set of 15 steels with as narrow snow tyres as you can get for the worst conditions.

Hope this helps

Cheers Griff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We usually get 3 or 4 good snows every year, although that can vary quite a bit from year to year. Most of my driving will be on plowed (well, theoretically plowed) urban streets.

Thanks for the Help!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Neither - get the 17's - they finish the car off !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts