MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a 15% reduction pulley on my MCS, it is like a whole new car. i love it. The only problem is that my spirited driving has now turned into crazy driving. When i turn traction controll off instead of the tires just chirping like they did before the mod, now they really squeal. Im getting a lot of tire wear, but i hate changing gears while flooring it with the traction on because of that violent reduction of power. Soooo, with it off i now get ooodles of torque stear when i shift. it is not only bugging me, but it is getting kinda dangerous because i get this sudden jerk towards the other lane. My main question is how can i reeduce the torque stear without reducing the power or putting traction controll on?
thanks for the input:p

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yah

ummm, well my clutch is gunna need some replacemnet sooner than normal, but hey, that the price of fun. Yah, i was a litte disapointed that the LSD option wasnt out yet, and im thinking of getting it. I think the price is going to be about $800 with install, but im not sure. Any body know? Yah, that is my only option i think. Thanks for the reply and help :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey, thanx

i will have to find a happy medium and becarefull that the tires are equally pressurized. While i have been waiting for responses from this post i found this site, its pretty cool. it explains all the stuff about tires you would ever want to know. BTY, thanx for the info :p
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire.htm
also if you go to www.howstuffworks.com and go to auto stuff, it explains everything about cars from manual transmissions to turning signals(very complex actually) to the bugatti veyron 16/4. :p

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
RedUn said:
surely if the mini has equal length drive shafts it will have no torque steer??:confused:
The torque steer is minimal on the MINI.
This has been discussed quite thoroughly in the past.

TonyB brought up one possibility. Another very likely one is not keeping steering inputs neutral during shifts.

Having one driven tire is also a problem. As suggested an LSD will greatly minimize unequal traction.
This is not torque steer.

I launch pretty hard during auto-x events and I don't recall a torque steer issue.
Driver issues..yes :rolleyes:

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
obehave said:
TonyB brought up one possibility. Another very likely one is not keeping steering inputs neutral during shifts.

Having one driven tire is also a problem. As suggested an LSD will greatly minimize unequal traction.
This is not torque steer.
very good point! :D

uneven traction could quite easily be mistaken for torque steer in my experience as well... Then again, where do you draw the line between the two? It's an arguement that could last forever

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Idontbrakeforcorners said:
ummm, well my clutch is gunna need some replacemnet sooner than normal, but hey, that the price of fun. Yah, i was a litte disapointed that the LSD option wasnt out yet, and im thinking of getting it. I think the price is going to be about $800 with install, but im not sure. Any body know? Yah, that is my only option i think. Thanks for the reply and help :p
Just FYI, the MINI factory LSD will not be made available to retro fit older models. Your only choice is to go aftermarket with something like a Quaife or Phantom Grip. A Quaife is $1,000 USD, the Phantom is about $400, plus installation in both cases.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.