MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
Hmm hard question!!!
I have had 16" and 17" and never noticed much difference:D
I had a Cooper with 16" and normal suspension and a S with 17" and Sports Suspension, and the S is a bit harder but nothing terrible:D:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks. Helpful.15" - being non runflats, are I assume, much more comfortable.
I've recently replaced my 15 inch wheels on my cooper d with 16 inch wheels. The 15 inches were much lighter, and quieter being non runflats, however they lacked grip when cornering, compared to the 16 inch runflats i have now. I'm happier with the combination i have now as it makes driving the car much more fun.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi all,
Quite experienced here- On my previous Cooper convertible i had 15" rockets on non-run flats, and 18" JCW on run-flats. On my wife's current mini cooper, there's 16" 5 stars on run-flats. As a rule of thumb, performance is unchanged due to overall diameter being unchanged- the main difference is that the larger the wheel the harder the ride and meaner the look......but check out the cost of replacement tyres. i got these prices from Blackcicles.com - they are very competitive and have local fitters but the bigger the tyre the more it's going to cost for quality premium tyres (not budgets!)
205/40 R18....£100-170 each
205/40 R17.... £80-145 each
195/55 R16.....£70-80 each
175/65 R15 ... £50-60 each

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I had 16" alloys (195/55 rubber) on a R50 Cooper with Sports Suspension Plus. I now have 17" alloys (205/45 rubber) on a R56 Cooper S with standard suspension and the ride is so much better - it feels like a Jaguar in comparison. Conclusion: in theory larger alloys / lower profile tyres will mean a harsher ride, but in reality the R56 with standard suspension has a very good ride quality even with 17" alloys and runflats. I guess it depends on what you are used to?

Personally I wouldn't bother with 15" alloys, they look too small and aren't grippy enough on the limit. 16" alloys provide a good balance between comfort, handling, grip, performance, economy etc if you're not obsessed with oversized wheels.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
You're confusion the issue by bringing the 2nd gen MINI into the equation as it handles very differently, much softer, than the first gen anyway.

For the 1st gen, I always say the best combination is light 16" wheels with non-runflats.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lightweight 16" inch wheels are the best compromize.Ride comfort handling looks and price.Stay away from runflats,expensive harsher ride heavier and less grip.15 wont be bad if you increase the width of the tyre to 195-205.

·
Noob
247 Posts
We have no issues with the 17" Runflat used as a Daily Driver. We drive quite a bit around the city .. and actually live IN the city. We still find it quite comfy.

Obviously it would be MORE comfy on 16s I presume, but we haven't had any dramas. Am even thinking of getting 18s at the moment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just wanted to ask.. Is it 100% ok to drive with non runflats?.. I've heard that the insurance may be void if the cooper doesnt have runflats...

I've got a 1st gen cooper with 16" tyres. Want some new alloys and Im pondering between 17" tyres or just sticking with my 16's..

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Never known it cause any problems with insurance, not heard of it causing any problems on here or had any first hand experience of trouble. As long as the tyres are road legal and the correct size etc, I cannot see how they can void it. But you might want to call and check if you're at all concerned, better safe than sorry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts