MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been given a brand new set of 17 " S Spokes with runflat Pirelli tyres......( They came with the Chilli pack when mum spec'd her MCS but she has R90's)
I have on my MC 15" Pirelli runflats at the moment...knowing how well informed from experiance you guys are could you tell me what to expect from the ride etc after these have been fitted...I asuming the ride will be harder than with 15", but will the corning be better and what about on a motorway etc etc....

I use my car mainly for short journeys around town, the occassional * run* when I get to them ..and for trips to Malborough (120 round trip) evey few weeks..I had the pepper pack when I spec'd my car so I haven't got the sports suspension plus like on the Chilli pk....Also with the tyres being a lot wider than 15" are they safer??

Thanks in advance for you help folks :)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Tracie said:
Hi

I have been given a brand new set of 17 " S Spokes with runflat Pirelli tyres......( They came with the Chilli pack when mum spec'd her MCS but she has R90's)
I have on my MC 15" Pirelli runflats at the moment...knowing how well informed from experiance you guys are could you tell me what to expect from the ride etc after these have been fitted...I asuming the ride will be harder than with 15", but will the corning be better and what about on a motorway etc etc....

I use my car mainly for short journeys around town, the occassional * run* when I get to them ..and for trips to Malborough (120 round trip) evey few weeks..I had the pepper pack when I spec'd my car so I haven't got the sports suspension plus like on the Chilli pk....Also with the tyres being a lot wider than 15" are they safer??

Thanks in advance for you help folks :)
Hi Tracie thought I'd help you out as no-one has replied to you!

(15" don't have runflats just normal tyres therefore you'll have the repair kit and compressor in your boot.)

I went from 15" 8 spoke alloys and MINI tyres to aftermarket 17" wheels and tyres. To be honest I didn't find that much difference in performance but my tyres are not run flats.
It sounds like you aren't a performance driver and to be honest I don't think that you will notice the difference that much. Cornering should be the same.
But on the other hand I have read many comments that people have found no obvious difference in the two. You will probably feel the road a bit more as your wheels is closer to the ground and they are much wider so you may feel a bit of tramlining (when you wheels drift very slightly due to the uneven surfaces of roads)
It depends what your upgrading the wheels for, if it is for asethetic reasons then do it but if it is to improve handling then maybe it isn't the right choice as many have said that the smaller the wheel the better performance. This is why Cooper S's come with 16" wheels.
The runflats do not mean they will be safer. If you get a puncture in the normal wheel which you have at the moment you use the puncture repair kit and then limp to the nearest tyre shop, if you have runflats and get a puncture you then limp to the nearest tyre shop + runflats are tonnes more expencive than any non runflat wheel!

It's your choice completely! Id say if your doing it for the look of it and have them for free do it! They always look better than the 15"s.

Maybe ask to test drive a cooper with 17" runflats at the dealer with your cars spec just to see the ride with them then you can change your mind!

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are def Runflats on my 15"..and Im mainly changing for a better look on the car as well as the fact that they were free and its only costing for fitting....plus Im getting driving lights fitted next week too....all to make it look better lol :D...I'll still keep my 15" set in the garage until I decide to sell them ....thanks for your help Laura :)

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep def 15" runflats Pirelli on my 04 build Cooper on S Spokes that came with the Pepper Pack.

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eekkk...Im wrong!!..I always assumed I had runflats and your right I haven't the info says on the tyre P3000 energy 175/65 R 15 84H Tubeless!!.....to be honest I never really checked as the dealer said" oh yes there runflats" when I collected the car ( he's since left to work for Porche)....oh dear :(......but after linking to your link to P3000 , they certainly don't have excellent grip as described....

So, apolgies all round :).......what can I expect from the Pirelli 17" Runflat on S spokes ?? :)..other that they will fill the wheel arch better....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts