MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions, questions, where to start....

Ok, thinking about a set of summer wheels in place of the 17" S-spokes and runflats, as follows:

R90 Cross Spoke Cast light alloy wheel 16"
(can be found on mini accessories site - £950 including tyres)

Yokohama A032-R or Dunlop D01J S tyres
(Dunlops (and alloys) can be found on John Cooper site under motorsport section)
http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCooperSite/category/Motorsport_Wheels+and+Tyres/

So my questions are.....

Are the rims on the mini accessories site exactly the same as the ones on the John Cooper site?

What is the weight of one rim? Are these lighter than X-lites?

Anyone fitted these to their Mini and got pics?

Would you fit 195 or 205 tyres? (John Cooper motorsport fit 195's)

Yoko's or Dunlops?

Do you reckon this would be a worthwhile modification, in terms of grip and handling?

How many miles do you reckon you would get out of a set of these tyres using them on road driving?

Cheers in advance for your input.

BC

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 16" R90s are lighter than the 17" S-Lites (20.9 versus 25.0 lbs. respectively) but you could do a whole lot better in terms of weight e.g. the OEM 16" X-LItes weigh in at 17.6 lbs. If you want to save some serious weight then I would suggest looking at the SSR competitions or Volk Racing wheels (16x7" weigh in around 11-12 lbs each).

Not sure about the tires though. If you don't plan on track or auto-x, then these might be a bit extreme for summer tires (don't forget, it does rain sometimes in summer). I would be more temped to go for a conventional max.performance summer tire such as the Bridgestone Pole Position S03 or even the Goodyear F1-GSD3 and fit something slightly wider than stock i.e. 205/50/16 (nether of these tires are available in 195/55/16 or 215/50/16 sizes).....this is my plan :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
The 16 R90s shown on the JCW website may NOT be the same as the accessory wheels you can order from the dealer (I have them on my car). Even though they look the same, I recall reading somewhere the JCW race ones are MUCH lighter - in the 10-15 lb range? :confused: :confused: On our adventure to the UK showroom back in September, I recall looking at the wheels on their race MINIs and seeing some slight differences but maybe I was just seeing things...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The JCW challenge wheels are the OEM 16" R90s (16x6.5", ET48, 20.9 lbs).

However, I think there's another (Germany-based?) race series where the wheels look like R90s but are actually BBS RG-Fs (1-piece forged). These weigh in at 10.2 lbs for the 15x7" rim (ET42 offset) and 12.8 lbs for the 16x7" rim (ET35 offset). They are pretty expensive.....but very nice :D

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Having tried both A032 and D01J, I can say the D01j is far superior in every way.
We use 215-45-17 size. If you do go for A032 there is no suitable 17" profile/width
available (in the uk anyway) Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.