MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a local tyre dealer last week and I asked if they could give me a price for 16" runflats. Needless to say he could not, but he did say that special equipment will be needed to remove tyres. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know the price of these tyres? I am trying to see if I can get a spacesaver for my chilli when it arrives, as I don't fancy driving on a flat tyre- whether it's meant to be ok or not

·
Registered
105 Posts
apparently, BMW as a whole have had trouble getting a decent run flat tyre for both the 16" and 17" wheel packages.
So they could well be right about special bits and pieces. Try a dealer and see what price they come up with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have heard that the Goodyear NCT 16" run-flats are about...........£100 per tyre:(

·
Registered
612 Posts
Runflat tyres have a double bead to stop them rolling off the rim when flat. They are [email protected]#%+ds to remove and refit. They don't need particularly special kit, just brute force coupled with slyness. And yes tyres are approx £100 each. Don't worry about driving on them though they're fine I went two days on two flats wondering what the orange light on the dash was for and why my car pulled to the left!!!! Yes the tyres were flat, thats why it pulled to the left, nothing more sinister.

·
Registered
612 Posts
No, its a long story involving a girl her ex boy friend and a long thin sharp object. Basically they were punctured deliberately and right on the "corner" of the tread so repair was impossible. Never mind, his nose got broken so all's well that ends well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
justice got done then! I wonder if you can put normal tyres on the 16" wheels? I reckon that £100 per tyre is a bit steep. However maybe the bead locking system stops you from doing this?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Best bit was I didn't touch him, he fell off his bike:D :D

You're spot on, the tyre would need to have a double bead

·
Registered
96 Posts
turnin said:
I am trying to see if I can get a spacesaver for my chilli when it arrives, as I don't fancy driving on a flat tyre- whether it's meant to be ok or not
Just in case you weren't aware, i think if you want the spare you need to order it when ordering the car. It can't be added on when your car arrives at dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ive had a puncture on my 16 inch goodyear 195's.

MINI dealer charged £97.

Apparently it took 2 guys a long time to change and they managed to significantly damage my wheel in the process (they didnt tell me and let me drive away - nice chaps)

Delaer to replace the wheel - asked for assurance that they would be able to fit it without damaging the new one - after asking several times the best answer I got was "it shouldnt be a problem" - i was bowled over with their confidence.

Dealer is Morrisons in Kirkcaldy.

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I am aware you cannot order a spare with the runflats. I have asked the dealer if he can order a spare with another car and give me that. I hope he can! If this is not possible then I may have to fork out for an alloy and tyre and carry it in the boot. Does the mini come with a jack and wheelbrace even if you don't have a spare?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No it does not.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
A couple of questions

1. Are run flats repairable?
  2. Can you fit normal tyres on the 16" and 17" Wheels?
    [/list=1]

Cheers

LMB:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well my dealer managed to damage the replacement wheel also.

Since then we got another puncture - a screw right in the centre of the tread.

Havent been able to get any of the high street Kwik-Fit type places to assure me the can repair it without damaging the wheel.

Going to try a Ferrari dealer Monday - surely they have the kit.

Dave

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
baldie said:

Going to try a Ferrari dealer Monday - surely they have the kit.

Dave

Ferrari dealer? Don't forget to polish your shoes and bring a big sack of ££££££! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts