MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we have an '05 MCS with the 17" S-Lites and the all-season runflats. We're going to use this set up for the winter months. For the summer I'm thinking of purchasing a set of lightweight (non-OEM) 16x7" rims on 205/50-16 non-runflats. The 16" rims are available with either an ET42 or ET48 offset, the latter obviously falling smack-bang in the middle of the OEM offsets for 15" to 18" MINI rims. So, which offset would be the best choice ? I'm leaning more towards the ET48, simply because it's close to the standard OEM offset, but would ET42 offer any advantages (or disadvantages) ? FYI, I may lower the car slightly, but it's bone stock athe moment. I probably won't be fitting a big brake kit and the car is primarily used for the street/commuting (auto-x or track useage unlikely). What would be the best offset for me :confused: ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Miniac,
Thanks. I'm probably going to run 205/50-16s so rubbing won't be an issue with either offset.......but I'm sure the BMW engineers optimized the offset range between ET45 and ET52 for a good reason and who am I to argue (even the 18" JCW wheels have an ET52 offset). The only reason I can see for the ET42s would be a slightly wider track and the visual aethetics of being more flush with the wheelarch....and offering the possibility of accomodating a big brake kit.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
gr8britwjh ...

Good point about ET42 offering a wider track, but I think big brake fitment is dependent on clearing spokes, in which case you might want ET48 in case you need to use a spacer (reducing offset) to make more room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts