MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use this wheel and tyre setup and if so would you be able to post some pictures of how the car looks. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of using non-standard profile tyres with 16" wheels? I think Mini use 55 profile tyres on the 16" wheels but wouldn't 45 profile look better and give a slight acceleration increase? Would i need to get the speedo redone and would I see a drop in MPG due to more revolutions per mile? Thanks

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
205/45-16 are really too short for street use (greater than 3% speedometer error) and there aren't many tire choices in 215/45-16.

205/50-16 is the most common choice when plus-sizing.

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are they too short for street use? What difference does it make having 45's on 16" or 45's on 17" wheels?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
What difference does it make having 45's on 16" or 45's on 17" wheels?
An inch in overall diameter for tires of equal width ...
As the FAQ states:
On street cars, it should have an overall diameter that is within ±3% of the factory specification. The ±3% variation is recommended for street cars in order to maintain accurate speed data going into the computer, thus keeping odometer and speedometer changes negligible.

Attachments

·
thewhitestuff
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So its just a case of the speedo and rev meter being inaccurate? What if these were to be re-calibrated?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
A Members Search lists 4 members running 205/45-16 tires. Comparing this size against the 175/65-15 stock size there is only a -2.9% difference:
I'm not sure why you think a 45-series tire would look better as running this size would increase the wheel well gap, making your car look like it needed lowering.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts