MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i was just wondering weather it was possible to have a 17% reduced supercharger pulley without getting an uprated intercooler? I dont want to create a crazy fast racer.....for the moment haha but i would like to be getting 210, i have an induction kit on my 54 s at the moment but i am just pondering on a 17 or 15, like im sure many people do but i dont want to stress the engine too much as i dont have enough cash for an intercooler as well as all the bits i want, such as the pulley itself, new plugs, new belt, new live map if i can get an afternoon over at 1320!

Any suggestions would be great!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'd go for a 15% then... In the summer months things will get hot if you are running a 17 without a larger IC... I got 214 with the 15% pulley alone so you should hit or get close to the 210...

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Lots and lots of people run 17%s without upgrading the intercooler. BBR's put 19%s on without upgrading it. I wouldn't worry terribly about safety, but the intercooler will definitely help in the power stakes on hot days...

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
You can run 17, but in a hot summer you'll be struggling for low IATs...basically the 15% will give you a quick car but is just that shade easier to keep temps down with than a 17.

The GTT cars on 17s run well and seem safe, but they dont get the best out of themselves until an uprated IC is fitted TBH. I was running 15% and even on that I could get quite high IATs and post IC temps on stock IC....better now I have a GP IC and an M7 chav hat.

If you want quick without and IC then 15% is your best option, along with a manifold to give you a bit mmore torque, without being too obvious.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We run a 17% on "Bert" our cooper S with a stock intercooler, we even did a recent track day at Castle Combe with it and all was well.

We did run 20% on the road and it was very nippy but I would not say its a good idea longterm.

·
go fast
107 Posts
i use stock intercooler and have my grs sitting in the house lol i will have to test with grs on for gains but as it stands im happy without.

·
Registered
126 Posts
this is the only concern i have when it comes to making my mind up about a pulley, i am thinking 17% with the intent of upgrading futher in the future, by the sounds of things i should be ok with the 17% on standard i/c til early summer time??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im in a similar position to you matey ive opted for now with a 15% pulley as i use the car once a month for a 150 mile motorway run and like to cruise at decent speeds so would be paranoid about it not running 100% for a prolonged period

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Both will run just fine :) Its just without an uprated intercooler that during the warmer months (Do we have a summer???) due to the increased temps you will loose more power than you would have with a bigger intercooler. :) Just drop a bigger intercooler on when you are ready....

I would recommend cleaning your stock intercooler and checking the bonnet seals well against the diverter also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts