MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooper S Lite Replacement

For everyones information I have just had my wheels replaced by the dealer for rust around the wheel bolts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thought the wheels were some sort of alloy - how does that rust? Isn't it more likely that it is the wheel bolts that are rusting? They are steel, I assume. Did they replace the bolts as well?

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
thoyland said:
For everyones information I have just had my wheels replaced by the dealer for rust around the wheel bolts.
You must have a good dealer.... I take it Newcastle way ?... not Stockton-on-Tees ? ;) ...

The rust comes from the bolts, Alloy doesnt rust it just oxidises.... (goes white and powdery)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I should know better it was the wheels that were corroding / oxidising. The coating / paint on the wheels had started to 'bleb' up behind the wheel bolts. Hence the request to have them replaced. The wheel bolts are beginning to turn rusty as well but the dealer would not replace these - at this time may I add - this will be brought up.

The dealer was in Stockton-on-tees and I assume you've had a dissapointing experience as well. The dealer in question was very happy to take my money for the car and all the extras I had ordered but not to keen to order and fit the dealer fit parts once the car had been delivered 3 weeks early (I waited for new reg to come out - real tough knowing the car was there), very disappointing, especially when they send you customer surveys about dealer service bragging about how good there service is!!!!!!!!!!

I've also had the rear number plate changed and an idler pulley changed, which rattled when i turned the air con on.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
thoyland said:
Sorry I should know better it was the wheels that were corroding / oxidising. The coating / paint on the wheels had started to 'bleb' up behind the wheel bolts. Hence the request to have them replaced. The wheel bolts are beginning to turn rusty as well but the dealer would not replace these - at this time may I add - this will be brought up.

The dealer was in Stockton-on-tees and I assume you've had a dissapointing experience as well. The dealer in question was very happy to take my money for the car and all the extras I had ordered but not to keen to order and fit the dealer fit parts once the car had been delivered 3 weeks early (I waited for new reg to come out - real tough knowing the car was there), very disappointing, especially when they send you customer surveys about dealer service bragging about how good there service is!!!!!!!!!!

I've also had the rear number plate changed and an idler pulley changed, which rattled when i turned the air con on.
Yes thats the one, they've been pretty bad with me, took them 10 months to finally swap my rattley gearbox... and generally arent interested, I asked for a price for the works seats two months ago and they never called back (wouldnt buy them from them anyway !)....

I noticed my S spokes were slightly blebed around the bolt holes when I swapped them for my 18's.... I think we all have rusty nuts !....

I think for my next service i'll be heading up to a Newcastke dealer, more hassle, but better service i've heard !...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used Mill @ Boldon for my servicing, who have been exceptionally helpful. Courtesy car everytime etc etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
thoyland
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing