MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

This is my first post but this site has been great in helping me spec up my mini. Ordered it today but going to finalize a few bits Monday. I have one question - I am definately going with the 17" wheels but I have read a lot about not getting the SS+ I will be doing a lot of in-town driving & a fair bit on the motorways. Should I stay away from the SS+?

Thanks

Brett

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't think there is a yes or no answer - it is so subjective as to what you consider an acceptable ride. Try a search on this topic to see people's views. Probably best to get a test drive in Coopers with both types of suspension to compare, though standard sports suspension with 17" or even 16" may be rare.

Which "version" did you test drive and what did you think about the ride?

·
Registered
106 Posts
My previous cooper was running on ssp+ and the 16's which was fine.

My replacement cooper has the ssp+ and the 17's and i LOVE the ride. I dont kow why but i feel this is a much BETTER ride than the previous car. I know that doesnt make sense but the ride is tremendous. I only do town driving with the occasional run and find it is brilliant.

Although on this car i only have half leather seats whereas before i had the full leather so perhaps this has made a difference!

Again its personal choice and i took a chance on the 17's without testing first! A good choice in my opinion.

Good Luck!

lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for replies
The one I test drove was a Cooper with Chilli & SS+ on 16" wheels. The ride seemed fine to me but I was too busy grinning all the time so I wasn't really paying attention to any bumps (daft I know). I think I'd be ok on 17's with SS+ its just that the saleman said I may prefer it without

Thanks for your help

Brett

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cool another excuse to samelessly post a pic of my baby.

SPS+ is great - I can't fault it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies - I'm sold on 17's & SS+
Finally decided on my spec now - can't wait to get down & confirm with dealer - he'll be pleased I've finally made up my mind

Brett

BTW I must say those cars look the nuts - didn't really like red before but with those wheels on it gives the car an entirely different look

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bsf99 - If you were happy with the SS+ and 16" wheels on the test drive, I would have thought you will be happy with your choice.

Martyn said:

The ride on the new car in my honest opinion is far far better than the old one ... apart from down bumpy lanes, then of course you feel the firmness more
I would have thought the only place to judge ride was down bumpy lanes?:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Martyn, and I drive bumpy roads every day. The SPS+ sit bumpy but no more than the standard suspension on the car I test drove (same road).

The 17" and SPS+ feels perfect, so direct, yes you'll feel potholes but it's not harsh. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I thought it was possible to judge a cars' ride on different surfaces........??!!!
Maybe I misunderstood your first post. Ride is surely about the ability to absorb bumps, so there would be no point in evaluating ride on a smooth road, you would use a bumpy road. But you are right in that there are different kinds of "bumps".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts