MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CooperS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi noobie here.

Just had my MCS a month and curbed the front alloy, right on the rim, can this be repaired?

Being to some local places and they won't do it and Berry's in Chiswick wanted £360 +vat for a new one :aargh:

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement from if I go that route?

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
You shouldn't need a replacement for that... looks like it just needs refurbishing.

If you're near North Manchester I know of a place who will charge around £40 + VAT.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Either get it refurbed as said above or don't bother - the chances are you'll do it again. Web Spokes aren't the best for kerbs!

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Take a trip to Halfords and buy a few different grades of wet and dry and a can of silver paint (thats a close match obviously) and laquer.

Take your time rubbing down the damaged section working down the grades of wet and dry until you are happy with the finish and spray the section when done. If you spary finish isn't perfect you should be able to finish off with the fine wet and dry you bought.

The bits and pieces won't cost alot and if you take your time you'll hardly notice your repair. I've done minor repairs to my alloys when I've caught them and unless you really look its hard to spot them. I did have one alloy profesionally repaired and after a year the laquer started lifting and the missus had kerbed the wheel again in a different place. :hmph: Pretty loathed to forked out alot of money on refinishing a wheel now, as accidents do happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
coupe-se

with due respect, that works on most alloys but not on stefanr's. He has a diamond-cut rim (on the 17" Web Spoke, which is what I have too) and it won't look the same once you have sanded it down. You will have to do all 4 otherwise it will look odd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi noobie here.

Just had my MCS a month and curbed the front alloy, right on the rim, can this be repaired?

Being to some local places and they won't do it and Berry's in Chiswick wanted £360 +vat for a new one :aargh:

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement from if I go that route?
Stefanr, did you find anyone?? I also live in London and have the same problem.

From Contact Menu - Alloy Wheel Refurbishment (a good introductory guide I reckon) I found Lepson's - Home - Breathing New Life Into Alloy Wheels, who are based in Gillingham and Swindon. They didn't reply when I emailed them but when I phoned up a few days later they said they could fit a new rim for about £95 +VAT.

·
Registered
74 Posts
no worth having it refurbed, best to do it your self, use a dremmel to smooth it off and then laquer the metal. i would put laquer on it now even before you fix it or hav it refured. I got similar R90 wheels and they can corrode easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts