MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next mod im thinking of getting my wheels. Ive been thinking maybe to go for an Aero Kit but then again i have seen a mini on here with just the standard body kit on and i have to say i liked it.

I think im being drawn to get the 18's, but im worried about my ride comfort as i live in the country and travel to the city every day. Would i need to change the springs from my factory ones, if so any makes recommended?

Kei Force 10 and Team Dynamics Pro race is what i've been looking at wheels wise.

Any Advice? :smile:

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
I have kei racing force 10's in 18's as well as being on coilovers right down to the wheel. :D

I live in the country and have had no problems, you just have to get used to the front lip scraping off the ground every so often.

I will stick a few pictures up later on for you to see anyway.

BTW i have cooper S bumpers instead of the aero kit and think it looks better.

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
anything to do with suspension or wheels and Darth is on the case :smile:

you must live on this section haha.

go with the 18" hardly any difference in comfort and look ace!!!!

amd i agree with Darth go with the cooper s bumper, the lip on the front of an aero has been known to be a problem on speed humps :red:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one, theres a guy on ebay thats selling a front bumper and side skirts in chili red. Did you put the back cooper s bumper on, if so what did you do about the exaust.

Really would like it if you could wack some pics of yours up if possible?

·
Registered
398 Posts
hi, i have a mini one with 18" R90 reps, cooper s front and rear bumpers and skirts, also have the aero black grill. I think it gives a much more unique look than just fitting the aero kit

i have no problems with rubbing or anything but the ride can be a bit hard, mine is lowered on eibachs to close the wheel arch gap a bit and it looks just right

to fit the rear s bumper you need the black trim from a pre facelift mini one bumper

you could also consider getting the cooper s bumpers and aero skirts, that would look pretty good

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
anything to do with suspension or wheels and Darth is on the case :smile:

you must live on this section haha.

go with the 18" hardly any difference in comfort and look ace!!!!

amd i agree with Darth go with the cooper s bumper, the lip on the front of an aero has been known to be a problem on speed humps :red:
As does the cooper s bumper if you stupidly low on coilovers :D:D lol

Anyway, yes cooper s rear bumper as well and used my original trim piece for the side exit exhaust.

Pictures below:

Attachments

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
If you buy 17s you'll wish you bought 18s. :eek:

Lightweight alloys make a big difference, like the Team Dynamics Pro race.

I went from 17" S Spokes with runflats to 18x7.5 Rota Subzeros, which saved 14kg unsprung weight. Its amazing how light the steering is and better ride and handling is over the bumps with the extra grip from the non runflats. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well from what everyone is saying i guess i have no choice but to go for the 18's.

And from the pics darth Aero kits out the window and in with the Cooper S Kit.

Will i be able to fit the Cooper S kit straight onto my one or will i need some adjustments?

If i may ask, how much did anyone pay for their Cooper S Kit?

Just i want to get a price in mind then i know what i should be paying, so i don't get ripped off.

Thanks
Ross

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi, I bought all the parts seperately from ebay, the skirts were £50 (but aim to pay around 30) and the bumpers were around £40 each, much cheaper than the aero kit!

I also got an aero grill brand new from scothalls. it cost about £50 but you have to modify the bottom part for it to fit. as far as the bumpers are concerned they are a straight swap. the skirts are too but you will have to buy new clips which costs around a tenner. You might also want to consider a spoiler if you dont have one, i have the one/cooper spoiler but a cooper s or aero one would probably look better

here are some pics of my car

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Well from what everyone is saying i guess i have no choice but to go for the 18's.

And from the pics darth Aero kits out the window and in with the Cooper S Kit.

Will i be able to fit the Cooper S kit straight onto my one or will i need some adjustments?

If i may ask, how much did anyone pay for their Cooper S Kit?

Just i want to get a price in mind then i know what i should be paying, so i don't get ripped off.

Thanks
Ross
I got my cooper s sideskirts from a breakers yard for £40, and the new clips also from a dealer as the old ones break once you take them off (something i didnt know when ripping the old ones off)

Then luckily I got both my bumpers for £40 for the pair off someone local then got them painted. But expect to pay that per bumper. Everything went ok perfect for me but the back bumper is fiddly because there are so many screws.

The back trim once again fits right on but I had to use the whole of the original rear trim to make it fit.

it looks well though with or without the aero grills as you can see with croftys perfect example, but i decided to keep the standard grills. Will prob change it one day to either aero or cooper s with black and chrome.

Ebay normally has alot of bumpers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
one thing i would add is that it helps if you have a trolley jack so you can jack the whole back of the car up when changing the rear, its not difficult but you have to take the whel arch lining off so you can loosen the wheel arch trim to get to a screw under it. then there are screws where the rubber stops are for the boot and some near the fog/reversing light. Front bumper is probably easier. i had to move my fog lights but i think thats just on facelift cars. It takes less than an hour to do each bumper so its worth having a go yourself. makes a big difference to the look of the car and it isnt too expensive.

Richard

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh thanks for that guys. Just last bit, if i were to get the cooper s back bumper, this trim part i need, what is it called, just cooper s coversion to one kit or something?

How do i go about fitting it to?

Ross

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Ahh thanks for that guys. Just last bit, if i were to get the cooper s back bumper, this trim part i need, what is it called, just cooper s coversion to one kit or something?

How do i go about fitting it to?

Ross
If you have a look at your rear bumper there is a black trim surrounding the exhaust. This clips off and you can use it on the cooper s bumpers. You use what you already have.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
hi guys, any measurments for moving the fog lights, as i have a pre face lift?

lewis
You dont need measurements, if you look at the front of the fog light unit and housing you will see there are little circles in the plastic, you push those through and then screw the fog lights into those holes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts