MINI Cooper Forum banner

17s without runflats - consequences?

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  minigolf 
#1 ·
I do not like the harsh ride on my Cooper S with Dunlop runflats. Is there a noticable difference in ride quaslity in changing to non runflats. How about implications if I get a puncture with no spare. I am sure many on here will have asked the same questions and may have personal experience.

Thanks

Brycem

#4 ·
I got Eagle F1's on mine. 100 times better than RF's and better economically too.

Runflat - You get a puncture, drive on it for 50 miles and then have to replace it at a cost in excess of £150

Non Runflat - You get a puncture, fill it with Tyre Weld, drive on it for 50 miles and then replace it at a cost of £115 or less depending on tyre choice :cool:

#5 ·
Changed from 17' Pirelli eufori@ to 16' Yokohama Advan 07.
Difference is night and day.
17' rft felt harsh and bumpy.
16' is agile, quick and smooth. This was also noticed by my partner as mostly occupies the passenger seat.

As for the puncture issue. Bought a can of tire weld at a accesoiry shop.

#10 ·
Rich-UK said:
I changed to Pirelli PZeros and the change was remarkable! It's quieter, comfier and handles better. I keep a can of tyre weald and a small compresser in case I get a puncture.
I've already got a compressor from Halfrauds, will this do the job (having bought the tyre weld from BMW). I ask because I phoned BMW to get the mobility kit, and they asked if I want the cans, the compressor or the lot.

In answer to the original post, the consequences of replacing runflats are:

1. better ride, more grip, less noise (i've got Pirelli Pzero's btw, £188 for 2)
2. 50% less cost and 100% less hassle when you get a puncture!

Bit of a no-brainer if you ask me

#11 ·
ButtonIt said:
I got Eagle F1's on mine. 100 times better than RF's and better economically too.

Runflat - You get a puncture, drive on it for 50 miles and then have to replace it at a cost in excess of £150

Non Runflat - You get a puncture, fill it with Tyre Weld, drive on it for 50 miles and then replace it at a cost of £115 or less depending on tyre choice :cool:
hello m8, do you get any tramlining on your goodyear F1's??

#16 ·
Rich-UK said:
Where did you get your tyres? Did that include fitting? That's loads less than I paid!
A pikey little garage in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I noticed the other day that the tyres say assimetrico pzero. Is that different from pzero nero?

#19 ·
Raify said:
A pikey little garage in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I noticed the other day that the tyres say assimetrico pzero. Is that different from pzero nero?
Pzero nero don't fit on the standard size Mini alloy, so they use assimetricos instead. Both good tyres, but the assimetircos are directional, the Neros aren't, so if you wanted to you could rotate the tyres to promote even tyre wear. I think the smallest Nero you can get is a 215, where as the standard 7" width S-lities wear a 205 section tyre.

#20 ·
I went from OEM 16" x-lites with RFs to 17" R90 replicas and 17" "regular" tyres and the ride is still better than with the smaller sized RFs. Honestly, don't let it stress you. :cool:

I have a can of tyre weld stuff too. I do need to get myself a portable air compresser though. :eek:

I went on a 1000+ kilometre run last weekend with my OEM wheel/tyre combo just for the heck of it. I had only done 300kms on my 16" OEMs and was interested to see what they were like. I shouldn't have bothered. My 17" combo is far, far superior. At one stage driving up Mt Hotham (30kms of serious tight and steep twisties) I just about needed to stop as the RFs got too hot. It was like driving on sponges. And they squeal like a 5 year old!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.