MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing our 17" alloys with a set of 18" ones. Not because I particularly want 18" wheels, there just seem to be some nice ones for sale at present at the right price.

I've never had such large wheels on a Mini before. Obviously any tyres I get will need to be suitably lower profile to compensate for the larger rim size - but does larger wheels affect the car's ride, performance or bring any other problems? I've always gone with run-flats on our 17" alloys for a slightly softer driving experience.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
597 Posts
Speed will probably be off and more expensive to buy tyres. Lower profile tyres will give less protection to the alloys when hitting potholes.

·
cristo
2,776 Posts
Diameter and Speedo will be about the
same if you pick the proper size tire.
Stiffer ride, increased total weight, and
more susceptibility to pothole damage
to tires and wheels can be expected,
as well as fewer good tire choices.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I had 18" R105's with 215/40R18's. Made the speedo more accurate, they over read normally, and no rubbing. Despite the theory the ride wasn't almost the same but that maybe the tyre choice. Sorry can't remember which tyres I chose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
SteveM3
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing