MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
\\ World Record Holder //
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, a quick question re a wheel upgrade I'm going to give my MCS Cabrio...

Looking at either a straight 17" swap to replace my bullets, or going up to 18" - with 215/35/18 tyres on them - but I want to see pics if poss of your Mini's with 18's on and standard S suspension?

Or what have people done in the past - I don't want the stilts look... :redface:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Either way, you'll still have the same gap with either 18's or 17's, as you'll pair the tires accordingly. 17 will be a smaller rim with larger tire, as opposed 18 being a larger rim but smaller tire, as far as the aspect ration goes.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either way, you'll still have the same gap with either 18's or 17's, as you'll pair the tires accordingly. 17 will be a smaller rim with larger tire, as opposed 18 being a larger rim but smaller tire, as far as the aspect ration goes.
cheers mate, i understand that, just that with cars i've seen sometimes despite the circumference being exactly the same, the car can look higher on 18's can't it...

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Decided to keep it then Dan? The 215/35/18 will give you a rolling diameter 6mm smaller that the 17s you currently have. So as stated above shouldn't make much difference. But the style of wheel may make the car look high. My 18s with polished lip tend to look small in the arches if not lowered. Another thing will be the width of the wheel. Mine are 7.5 inch so the 235 tyres are a little stretched on them. I have seen 7 inch with 215 that seem to fill the arches better as the tyres bulge a bit more. There are plenty of cars running 18s on original ride height. Just choose the wheel carefully.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to keep it then Dan? The 215/35/18 will give you a rolling diameter 6mm smaller that the 17s you currently have. So as stated above shouldn't make much difference. But the style of wheel may make the car look high. My 18s with polished lip tend to look small in the arches if not lowered. Another thing will be the width of the wheel. Mine are 7.5 inch so the 235 tyres are a little stretched on them. I have seen 7 inch with 215 that seem to fill the arches better as the tyres bulge a bit more. There are plenty of cars running 18s on original ride height. Just choose the wheel carefully.
Hi mate, yeah I’ve decided to keep it – mostly as I didn’t receive an offer that was close enough to my already relatively low asking price (compared with book value)

The only reason I was looking at getting rid was cos I fancy a change to something a bit bigger, and that I got caught speeding recently, and driving a Mini in a boring way as I have been for the past 3 months while my court appearance is delayed and delayed makes you fall out of love with it. However – what with getting no “decent” offers and the bit of sunshine we had this weekend I have been out driving, and gave it a good blip last night which is keeping me happy – it just wants to be driven, so 2,500RPM change gear 2,500RPM change gear etc etc is not good! (I’m telling you stuff you already know here but you know what I mean) ;)

Thanks for the info re the diameter and width – good things for me to bare in mind.

I definitely want polished lip with a black or similar spoked wheel – the Rota Subzero’s are just awesome (think that’s the same as yours? - are yours gunmetal or black?) but also open to other similar designs and suggestions on an alternative if you have any in mind that would suit my car. With it being DS and the black hood I think some nice wheels will really set it off, and I’m going to re-do my bonnet stripes and get my plate back on – and it’ll be like brand-new again :D

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool. where would you recommend as being the best sites to look at similar wheels? where did you get yours from?

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan check out tirerack.com You can choose your wheel and they show you how it looks on you car (matches colour etc). Great site for ideas
that's a great link - thanks i'll check it out later on at home :nice:

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rota wheels are all imported by rarerims.co.uk (wherever you order them from). They have a similar thing where you can upload a pic of your car and see how it looks with their wheels.
top man!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts