MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
TireRack.com

Okay, it's not in Australia, but if you don't want to save +/-50% on Australian RRP then go right ahead. ;)

The Wheel Gallery (IIRC) is in Melbourne and is an OZ distributor. Otherwise you may be able to get OZs from AMG Australia in Sydney (no, they're not connected to Mercedes-Benz AMG).

Make sure the offset is right too.

FWIW, we bought some 18" BBS CKs from TireRack for my wife's Golf GTI. Cost us about AU$2300 including shipping and taxes. The same wheels are $900 each from an Australian reseller.

:indi:

Cheers Liam

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool.
Thanks for that.

But... TireRack.com doesn't seem to offer International shipping??
When I try check shipping charges it only seems to offer shipping to USA & Canada.

Also, does anyone know if I can fit 7.5x18" Ultraleggera's?
If yes, can I put 225/35 R18 tyres on those?

TireRack.com only gives me the option for the 7x18" which means 215/35 R18 tyres?

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
If you want to buy from TireRack, or at least get a quote, send an email to reggie-at-tirerack.com. It might take a day or three for the quote to come through, their prices are good, but the customer service, while good, certainly isn't outstanding. You'll need to supply your full shipping address for quoting purposes. If you go ahead with the order it's almost certain they won't/can't accept an Australian credit card so you'll save yourself a lot of time and grief if you pay by internet bank transfer.

In regards to sizing, I'm pretty sure what TireRack lists is all they carry, so if you did want a different width rim you could try calling them, but I expect you'll have more luck if you shop around elsewhere in the States.

It's not always as straightforward as buying from an Australian reseller, but you can save good money. We got our BBS wheels when our dollar was around US94¢.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question...

If and when I get myself a new set of wheels.

Where is the best place to sell my current 17" Crown Spokes and what could I sell them for (with tyres) ??

Anyone here interested in them??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.
I've already had my old bumpers and side skirts listed on MINI2 for months with no interest as yet.

Was kinda just wondering if anywhere else.

Any suggestions on how much I can sell the wheels (with tyres) for ?? They are still in great condition.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm actually after some 17s of these and good non-runflats to suit. I really can't be bothered to buy them from the US and mess around like that. Is there any outfit in Melbourne likely to be able to supply and fit?

I don't have much of a clue about this stuff in melbourne/oz yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still looking around...
Still undecided if I should get a new set of wheels or not.

In my search I found the following places that sell OZ Wheels is Australia.

Just a quick example of price from USA vs. AUS for a set of 18" OZ Ultraleggera Wheels (No Tyres)

Also, I must point out that if you want BLACK wheels it seems that you can only get them from the USA.
For some odd reason you can only get Silver and Gold wheels here...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Post #2 above.
Which wasn't very useful hence me posting right?

In my search I found the following places that sell OZ Wheels is Australia.
Excellent stuff, cheers fella. I only looked today and found that jaxquickfit chain does OZ and they have some price matching thing going on too. They're definately competetive on tyres too. I asked one about a quote and haven't heard back. Will call tomorrow.

You've got the same wheels I do. I don't hate them, but I'd prefer something thinner and sooner than having my wheels destroyed with inexpert removing of runflats I thought I'd keep the runflats intact.

I think those jax lot had the black ones on their site too.

·
just hanging round
8 Posts
got two quotes on these rims today actually. in sa.

a localish tyre place for 18x7s with yokohama 205 40 18s price was approx $3500 aud
and my usual tyre dealer can get them for $465 a rim. + [email protected] approx $150- $200

cheers jamie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mag Wheel Centre in Melbourne reckons $627 a pop for chrystal titanium 17s. $2508 for the full set.

They're also advocating Kumho KU31 tyres, which they're naturally happy to sell me. Saying they're cheaper, quieter, better grip in the wet. For $223 each. Hmm.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$2508!?!? That sounds like expensive. Taleb Tyres was $2250 delivered for 18"s. From the top of my head I think 17"s were about $1850 delivered. But I'll have to double check and get back to you.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
"The Wheel Gallery" / "Mag Wheel Centre" ... use your imagination, haha. That was the place I meant I just couldn't remember the name. :p

I have KU31s on the MINI and GTI now. They do all the things the Mag Wheel Centre say except the quiet bit. They're not loud to the point of being a nuisance, but I've got less than 5000kms on both sets and they're on the loud side now, so when they're worn they'll no doubt be a bit noisier.

Dunno if Tempe Tyres has a hook up with any stores in Melbourne, but if they do they'll kill that pricing. For example, it cost me $170 per tyre for 225/40/18s on the GTI through Canberra's Tempe distributor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ah that's good to know. I wasn't married to the Goodyears if there' s something similar for a bunch less. I'm still having a pretty hard time swallowing $3600 for four wheels and tyres though...

Little concerned about the road noise. That's a pretty key thing I'd like to cut down on in the move from run-flats really. In order of importance: 1. Some actual wet grip, the run-flats have *none, 2. Better ride, the missus factor... 3. Lower road noise.

I'm thinking I might sling down a couple of local places and just see what they have wheel wise. The problem seems to be 90% of wheels are ridiculous chav stuff for holden utes or something.

That Mag Wheel center was also pushing an 'Optican' ODB tuning mod which their PDF claimed was a boost to 150kW. Looks like ******** to me, which made me a little warey of these guys full stop.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I chucked those jax guys an email for a quote a few days ago, no reply. Taleb got back to me with some crazy good pricing though:

The O.Z racing ultralegegera in 18" with Tyres,Nuts,Locknuts the whole deal
start from $2700. The Price for 17" start from $2300 with Tyres,Nuts,Locknuts the whole deal.

It is an extra $100 for shipping to your door

1 - 20 of 53 Posts