MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
www.tiovicente*****
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this thread won't get banished to the wheels/tyres forum as its JCW specific but here goes!

Currently suffering from a glut of MINI wheels/alloys and as I've ordered the 'sports suspension' I'd like to use a set of R105s with conventional tyres in place of the JCW 17" RFT combos. The trouble is, the dealer tried the R105s and they don't clear the calipers so I'd need to add spacers (probably 5mm) to ensure the offset stands proud of the calipers.

My reasoning, apart from wanting to use an existing set of alloys is that I think the 'sports suspension' will exacerbate any torque steer so by reducing the unsprung mass I can reduce the effects plus a smoother ride.

Failing that, I could have the internal wheel area skimmed but I'm unsure to what extent the strucural rigidity may be reduced.

Any thoughts on this plan?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Well:

1. Why won't they clear the calipers - have you got a BBK fitted?

2. What do you mean by sports suspension - and why do you think it will make torque steer worse?

·
www.tiovicente*****
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

apparently they don't clear the calipers as the offset isn't sufficient. I don't know what BBK is but if it helps clarification, then I'm talking about the new JCW, just launched.

As for your second question, in my experience unless you start changing camber/toe in/out settings, then a stiffer set up (particularly at the front) generally will increase torque steer and whilst I believe much of the criticism levelled at the new model is bump steer rather than torque steer, there is no doubt that it does suffer from it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts