MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eb:
Hi,
I can't decide what wheel size to go for, I need help as I don't know if putting 19's onto the car will affect the handling ???? :confused:

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
no offence, but 19s look ridiculous on a mini... 18s is as far as i'd go... cuze its cheaper, and u wont hv to go to a chiropractor every few weeks! or a dentist to hv ur fillings checked

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
18s are a more sensible choice and look excellent ;)

19s are a bit over the top as kyriian has already said

heres a picture od 19" Kahns on a mini ;) :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm trying to find out if the 18" Works alloys are the right choice myself! Are they a lot heavier than the 17" S lite alloys?

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
stacemcs said:
Hi,
I can't decide what wheel size to go for, I need help as I don't know if putting 19's onto the car will affect the handling ???? :confused:
If looks are what you are after then the only person to answer that question is you. If performance is your objective than the answer is 15" or 16" and as light as you can afford.

Ride quality deteriorates with the increase in wheel diameter. No two ways about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No way 15's look way better........on a Miata of course :D!

I ditto Bilbo Baggins answer, it depends if you think 15s, or 16s look good to you. If they don't look good enough to justify their performance gains, and the larger wheels grab you more, then go ahead and take them. Just that most people who go to large wheels such as 18s, and larger, tend to regret it. They may not want to admit it, but it's either the ride quality, or the HI$$$ that has to be dished out for rubber.

----------------
Happy Motoring,
Kurt STS2 #5
My 1990 Classic Red Miata

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
I'll take 12 pound 15 inch wheels any day over a 24 pound 19 inch wheel. My advice is to get at max a 17 inch lightweight wheel. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your feedback, I think I will have to go for 18's, I've only had my S for 2 months but loving every minute,

Cheers :cool:

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
Well, I've got the 18" JCW's on mine, and I have to say I think they're FANTASTIC! IMHO they're the best looking wheels you'll find for a MINI. The ride quality is hard, but very very fun, and they just look so right. I certainly wouldn't want any bigger though!

·
Carpe Diem
321 Posts
Just say no... to 19" wheels and tires !!!

stacemcs said:
Hi,
19's are just too darn big for the Mini. They also will make the car's ride super rough and somewhat unmanageable. You will most assuredly have frequent bent wheels... and will certainly curse the day you put 19's on the car.

IMHO even 18's are a bit much, but they are as large as one should go on a Mini. There is some decent rubber in the 18" realm to prevent too harsh a ride... and I think there are also runflats as the Works wheels are 18's... right?

I would, in fact, take advantage of the factory 18's and runflats (if there is indeed an 18" runflat????) if I "had to choose".

Best of luck and maximum enjoyment with whatever you decide... :)

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
i have to diagree with a lot of the comments on here about 19inch wheels. i have 19s on my cooper and noticed very little difference between the stock 16s. Also i have a cooper so the suspension isnt as hard as the S, but to say they look rediculous is surely dependant on what wheels you buy.

I've kept my 19s on for every run i have been on since buying them which is testament to their ride quality. If you are going for 19s though i recommend a big break kit to fill the gaps at the front cos the stock calipers look a little puny otherwise. I have 10pots waiting to be fitted... but then again i like to go one step further.

my 19s are roughly the same weight as stock 16s with runflats. There are pictures in my gallery.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
those wheels are very smart pal. bet they look huge in real life? i agree with you, it does depend on what style the wheels are, those kahn ones above look a bit OTT, but tbh, yours don't look as big, probably because of the spokes (that's not to diss them though, not at all, in fact, big respect for going for 19s).

it was interesting to read you notice very little difference in the quality of the ride, as that's one of the things that's causing me hesitation in getting my 18s...

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
nylo said:
those wheels are very smart pal. bet they look huge in real life? i agree with you, it does depend on what style the wheels are, those kahn ones above look a bit OTT, but tbh, yours don't look as big, probably because of the spokes (that's not to diss them though, not at all, in fact, big respect for going for 19s).

it was interesting to read you notice very little difference in the quality of the ride, as that's one of the things that's causing me hesitation in getting my 18s...
Ride quality for me was surprising also as i had expected a huge change going on what i had read on these forums. It should be noted that my suspension set up is standard. They are quite easy to dent however, but in the UK you can claim against local council if the pothole was on a public road, other than that its just a case of careful driving.

The RSGT's that i have look smaller than 19 inches, but as you rightly said its because of the illusion you get from the spokes which bend inwards at the tops. They are nice wheels. i think for 19s you should consider 5 spoke rims over the others. Wheels that have spokes that go right to the rim often give the impression that the wheel is bigger than actual fact, thos khans are a prime example.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
yeah, im actually heading along the lines of 18 inch HT3s, think 19s would be a step too far for me (bit woosy really!)

I'm surprised you're on standard suspension, it looks lowered. I know 19s would fill the arches completely, but i still expected you'd be able to see a bit of the old 4x4 look!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
19 Participants
JARL13
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing