MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
321 Posts
To each his own...

KJ_daGreenMini said:
i have to diagree with a lot of the comments on here about 19inch wheels. i have 19s on my cooper and noticed very little difference between the stock 16s. Also i have a cooper so the suspension isnt as hard as the S, but to say they look rediculous is surely dependant on what wheels you buy.

I've kept my 19s on for every run i have been on since buying them which is testament to their ride quality. If you are going for 19s though i recommend a big break kit to fill the gaps at the front cos the stock calipers look a little puny otherwise. I have 10pots waiting to be fitted... but then again i like to go one step further.

my 19s are roughly the same weight as stock 16s with runflats. There are pictures in my gallery.
People are only voicing their personal beliefs with respect to aesthetics/practicality of the 19" wheel. I do not think any one of us would have you take them off your vehicle because of our personal belief(s)... If you like the look that is great.. because in the end you must like your own vehicle and its modifications.

By the way, your car looks great... I really like the placement of the fogs in close pairs... very nice. Great colour too...!!! Happy motoring.

Cheers,

Jim S.

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
cooper_s_flyer said:
People are only voicing their personal beliefs with respect to aesthetics/practicality of the 19" wheel. I do not think any one of us would have you take them off your vehicle because of our personal belief(s)... If you like the look that is great.. because in the end you must like your own vehicle and its modifications.

By the way, your car looks great... I really like the placement of the fogs in close pairs... very nice. Great colour too...!!! Happy motoring.

Cheers,

Jim S.
thanks for the kind words. i'm sorry if i came across as confrontational, that wasnt my intention. There have been a few times where i wished i'd gone for 18s, mainly when i hit potholes and when it attracts a bit too much attention (i've had my car vandalised 3 times :( )

i also have to say i like the look of 16s with thick tires. i've kept my stock wheels too incase i want to put them back on again.

·
Carpe Diem
321 Posts
Vandals su*k...

KJ_daGreenMini said:
thanks for the kind words. i'm sorry if i came across as confrontational, that wasnt my intention. There have been a few times where i wished i'd gone for 18s, mainly when i hit potholes and when it attracts a bit too much attention (i've had my car vandalised 3 times :( )

i also have to say i like the look of 16s with thick tires. i've kept my stock wheels too incase i want to put them back on again.
Vandals are statistically "youthful offenders" (9 times out of 10) and as a rule are people that have respect for no one... not even themselves. I sympathize with you. I lived in Edinburgh (Scotland... not Texas) for quite a few years off and on from 1981 to 1993 and vandalism was not as rampant as in "the south" (England). I always heard that Manchester and London were the worst, and that Liverpool was a close runner-up.... and I had a pal that lived in Newcastle that had his car stolen and dumped twice.

I have had an M5 with 19's on it and they drove me nearly insane. I cringed at every imperfection I hit on the roads here in Texas.... And our roads are admittedly not the best by a longshot. This is where my 19" "reluctance" came from... I just plain grew weary of trying to safeguard them. I really thought they would look to "big" on the Mini, but I really guess it depends on the wheel design. I have Cooper S suspension so I could not fathom how someone could tolerate 19's with such a stout ride as mine... Regular Cooper must be a bit more forgiving.

I took absolutely no offense from your post... I just thought that you thought I was slamming you personally... and wanted you to know it was not my intention.

Cheers...

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
I got JCW 18" Rims on mine,, I gotta tell you, these rims are the best,, very good handling with them, Light,, and no problems with Caliper spacing even if you switch to Sport breaks (that requires larger calipers)

True the cost is high,, but trust me,, these rims will last

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
321 Posts
Me want those too !!!!

sa3dos said:
I got JCW 18" Rims on mine,, I gotta tell you, these rims are the best,, very good handling with them, Light,, and no problems with Caliper spacing even if you switch to Sport breaks (that requires larger calipers)

True the cost is high,, but trust me,, these rims will last
Those definitely look sweet....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well mate I think your 19's look awesome, I too will be going all the way on My Cooper convertable, Can I ask where and how much your wheels were. Still thinking about the khan wheels as they are local to me but always good to have options.

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
HDgaz said:
Well mate I think your 19's look awesome, I too will be going all the way on My Cooper convertable, Can I ask where and how much your wheels were. Still thinking about the khan wheels as they are local to me but always good to have options.
are you asking me? the wheels i got when they were fresh in the uk, they set me back £1400 incl sticky Kumho tires. I think they are still around that price but Kei racing, the sister company of Arospeed, are doing a new design called the RSS for the same price. These are awsome wheels, as well as the RSGT's which are what i have.

·
Shopping
740 Posts
X30YES said:
I think 18'' wheels wil be big enough and my 2p worth about 19's is not really printable on here !!! :D :D

Angus,

How could you :mad:

You know I have 19's on my car

check my gallery

pretty much as KJ says.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
HDgaz said:

Hi

I'm also looking into getting the Khan alloys, I've had a few quotes for the RS-V with tyres, the best quote i,ve got is around the 1,500 for 19's and 1,300 for 18's.
I'm alittle worried though as this was from Coolnew and there are a few negative comments about these guys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can buy the wheels direct from Project khan in Bradford, they quoted me £1500 but i would expect some discount on that with a bit of haggling, If your serious maybe get a better discount for two sets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
£1500, was that for 19's ??, i'm leaning towards 18's at the mo, what tyres would they be supplied with ???

·
Registered
40 Posts
That was for 19's, but I just phoned for a price and didn't haggle, I'm from Bradford so I would imagine if i went into the shop and bothered them for a few hours i'd get a better price. didn't ask about the tyres.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
the price I was given from Coolnew was with Toyo's, £35.00 delivery charge to Cornwall, are you after the RS-V ??

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
stacemcs said:
the price I was given from Coolnew was with Toyo's, £35.00 delivery charge to Cornwall, are you after the RS-V ??
just to add my 2 bobs worth, i think i'd rather pay a little bit more from a reputable dealer, rather than taking a risk with coolnew after comments ive read on here about them...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Spoke to project kahn and these are the prices:

18" RSV Wheels only - £987

18" RSV with 215/35/18 Pirelli P Zero Nero Tyres - £1266

19" RSV Wheels only - £1081

19" RSV with 215/35/19 Pirelli P Zero Nero Tyres - £1506

19" RSV with 215/35/19 Kuhmo tyres - £1298

Don't know much about Kuhmo tyres but the P Zeros seem like a good deal.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts