MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just read a magazine called "Roundel" (nov. issue)..... it mentions about upgrade supercharger with 19% pulley requires the engine rev limit be reduced to 6,200rpm. is that true? so what about 15% and 17% pulley?? :confused:

·
Registered
624 Posts
mobile23 said:
just read a magazine called "Roundel" (nov. issue)..... it mentions about upgrade supercharger with 19% pulley requires the engine rev limit be reduced to 6,200rpm. is that true? so what about 15% and 17% pulley?? :confused:
15% is fine.
not sure about 17%
if u do a search u should be able to find lots of answers.
the main reason being the supercharger will over rev if it rev more than that certain revs you will be risking of damaging ur charger. with the 15percent even spining at the factory redline (or alittle higher i believe) it is still within the spec of the charger, so it would be fine....
(i am just posting for what i know)

·
Registered
783 Posts
My understanding, as well; you will over-rev the supercharger if you fit a 19% pulley and run the engine to redline. The JCW kit has a reduction pulley and a raised redline, but the supercharger itself is modified for the higher revs/heat.

·
Brrrp Brrrp!!!
280 Posts
Check this out: http://www.mini-works.com/tech.html

According to RDR, the 19% puts the Eaton SC right at its rev limit so that's actually the sweet spot.

Thing is, how long will the engine last at that sweet spot. I believe the tolerances that car manufacturers set is also for longevity in the wear and tear department.

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
mobile23 said:
thanks. so 15% is the problem-free pulley upgrade, right? :rolleyes:
meant to be:) from what i read on MINI2, the supercharger still has a 100% life span up to a 16% pulley..

im getting my pulley soon and cant wait!:D hope it is as explosive as everyone claims:)

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
if 16% and it still retains the 7000 rpm limit, then i'd think a 17% can still go 7k, but you'd be pushing it far... i'd think 6700 would be my upper limit if i had a 17%

·
Un-Banned
1,999 Posts
Its 6500 not 6200.
+ if you're putting a 19% pulley in, you should be prepared for higher temps. Although you wont get 100% life out of the engine, its still close to that mark with the 19%. Dont forget, these engines are almost bulletproof. If you're a pansy, keep a stock Mini and dont bother tuning.

·
Registered
171 Posts
17% pulley

kyriian said:
if 16% and it still retains the 7000 rpm limit, then i'd think a 17% can still go 7k, but you'd be pushing it far... i'd think 6700 would be my upper limit if i had a 17%
Nah, the stock rev limiter @ 6,800 works great on track when paying attention to all the other stuff. I try and shift just before it kicks in when I'm winding it out. just for the pleasure of it..
I will tell you it is really pulling nicely at 6,800 and feels like it wants to rev much higher but the limitation is the valve train primarily the lifters. Therefore I don't intend to make any changes that would allow me to exceed 7,000 RPM.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
enzothemaddog said:
Its 6500 not 6200.
+ if you're putting a 19% pulley in, you should be prepared for higher temps. Although you wont get 100% life out of the engine, its still close to that mark with the 19%. Dont forget, these engines are almost bulletproof. If you're a pansy, keep a stock Mini and dont bother tuning.
That last sentence is just ignorant.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Does anyone know what the maximum RPM for the supercharger for our cars? And what is the corresponding engine speed for it with say a 19%. I have seen the data before but I couldn't find it now. And what RPM does the supercharger loose efficiency because of heat?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
johnD said:
Does anyone know what the maximum RPM for the supercharger for our cars? And what is the corresponding engine speed for it with say a 19%. I have seen the data before but I couldn't find it now. And what RPM does the supercharger loose efficiency because of heat?
Check out this thread .
Full of good info and links

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I'm new to the mini game I've had me car for a little over a year and I did a 15% reduction, after the mod when I started the car it had a really high idel revv like over 5k

1 - 19 of 19 Posts