MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with their 19% pulleys? I have had one about 8 months but have not installed it because people keep telling me it's going to mess up the car. I would rather not kill my mini.

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
im no pro... from what ive read though.. a 19% pulley is strictly for street use! no tracking..

i think there is a thread going around about someone using a 19% pulley that blew something in his car... check the performance/tuning thread..

Benefit of using a 19% is you dont need to run any ECU upgrades.. and you get more power and lover revs..

I have heard (dont know how true this is) that the MCS supercharger is said to have a 100% life span even if a 16% pulley is used... so 15% is the safest bet..

with the 19% you aren't meant to rev the engine too high for long time periods..
overall... if you are a street driver that isn't too aggressive then the 19% should work.. thats just my opinion though :)

good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
If your this worried about putting in a 19, then don't do it. I don't feel that the long term effects are in yet on this mod. There are now questions of possible head gasket failure with the 19, but I'm thinking that there is no connection.
There are several here that love there 19 and will tell you to go for it, but IMHO, I would only do so with caution. Street? Track? Not that much difference in how one drives a MCS as far as I’m concerned. If it proves bad for the track then why would I want it in my car. :eek:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The difference between track and Street use.. At the track you are at sustained High RPMs 5k+. That is measure in Miles and not feet. Where in doing so you are running the SC at near its Mechanical limit without proper cooling for SC its self cause it to overheat and some excess belt wear. As for the Headgaskets blowing. Yes its happen to someone that was using it on the Track, But im not going to say the 19% pulley was the reason behind it. Granted it helpped but IMHO there were something more going on.

I've been running the 19% for about a year now with no problems. I've been known to drive the MINI very agressivly on the street as well as do several Drag racing events. At the moment i've currently worn out the Stock rubber bushings on the front end and have to address that issue.

There are also rumors of 21% and 25% pulleys out on the market. From what i've gathered on those. You must have some wear on the SC before its considered to put them on. Again this is only a rumor i havent seen any facts to this as of yet

Hope this helps some

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
onasled said:
If your this worried about putting in a 19, then don't do it. I don't feel that the long term effects are in yet on this mod. There are now questions of possible head gasket failure with the 19, but I'm thinking that there is no connection.
There are several here that love there 19 and will tell you to go for it, but IMHO, I would only do so with caution. Street? Track? Not that much difference in how one drives a MCS as far as I’m concerned. If it proves bad for the track then why would I want it in my car. :eek:
I think that comes from the earlier calculations that running over 6100 RPM will spin the SC faster than it's stated engineered rating. You'll also generate more heat than a 15% will at the same engine RPM. You may see more boost but I don't know if there's much net gain due to the heat losses. A bigger IC helps I'm sure but I haven't seen any real test data on it.
Our resident data logger doesn't come here much any more.

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
not sure if the eaton super chargers are in the same league as my old polo supercharged (g-lader scroll type) but if u ran a smaller than usual pulley then if puts more load and wear on ya charger which aint gud !!!! i used to have to keep getting my charger overhauled every 30,000 miles and that was 500quid a time :eek:

but i dont wanna be scaring anyone if thats not the case with eaton chargers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks for the help guys. I will be on the street most of the time and as far as track use I will only be on the drag strip. I'm currently working on building a front mount intercooler based off the Webb motor sport front mount. That should take care of some of the SC overheating. Is there anyone out running a Webb motor sport front Mount??
The Webb motor sport system looks extremely mean! Here is the link for the Webb page, go check it out. http://www.webbmotorsports.com/performance.php The price is steep though.

Attachments

·
Nut Job
201 Posts
racer714 said:
I'm currently working on building a front mount intercooler based off the Webb motor sport front mount. That should take care of some of the SC overheating.
:confused: ????. An intercooler, of any sort, has no effect on an overheating SC. ...or belt issues...or headgasket failures...bolt stretch issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Is there any other performance SC on the market built to take the extra heat from the 19% pulley? About the Intercooler, now that I looked at my post your right the intercooler has nothing to do with the SC over heating, at work right now reading and typing posts and dealing with customers screws me up some times. The head gasket may become a problem with the 19%'s extra boost your right. I'm sure there is someone out there working on that problem as we talk.

·
Nut Job
201 Posts
racer714 said:
Is there any other performance SC on the market built to take the extra heat from the 19% pulley? About the Intercooler, now that I looked at my post your right the intercooler has nothing to do with the SC over heating, at work right now reading and typing posts and dealing with costumers screws me up some times. The head gasket may become a problem with the 19%'s extra boost your right. I'm sure there is someone out there working on that problem as we talk.
A) I think you are asking if there is another SC that could take the place of the Eaton?? Yes, the Autorotor. It is not a simple swap, nor would you use the 19%.

B)Tell your "costumers" that Halloween is long over....:p

C)I am the someone with the head gasket/ head bolt issue. If you want more info, PM me.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Didnt know it was you BISCH. Sorry to hear you had the problem.
Yes pls pm him if you want more info since he's the one with first hand knowledge.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
bkwalker said:
Benefit of using a 19% is you dont need to run any ECU upgrades.. and you get more power and lover revs..
huh? Where did you get that idea?!

I agree with Mugami has said in this thread. For street use, unless you're a maniac, it will be fine, but for track use, probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Head gasket failure should not come as a surprise at all as a consequence of increasing supercharger speed, as the same pulley also drives the water pump. Higher water pump speeds=greater pressurization of cooling system. Failure at the head gasket, or eslewhere in the cooling system would seem to be a more likely outcome than supercharger failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't see how the water pump is being spun faster, because the reduction is with the SC pulley only. The crank pulley is still spinning at the same speed, and when you do the SC pulley you reduce the belt size so your belt is not loose. This is just what I have been told in the past by other tuners.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Would have thought of the same thing Racer.. But in the case of the Mini the Water pump is spun off the back side of the SC instead of the Drive belt. Therefor if the SC is spining faster then so is the waterpump. If it was spun from the Drive belt indepent of the SC then there would be no change. Main concern i had isnt the pressure but Cavatation from the pump being over spun causing airpockets and no water flow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.