MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When under heavy acceleration going from 1st to 2nd, sometime (not all the time) I experience wheel spin. I have only experienced this a few times.

Stupid Question:
Does this hurt the clutch and tranny?
And what would be the tell-tail signs?

I have 3k on my MCS and want to make sure it stays intact.
It's just so fun to drive and that is like an added bonus...

I know it's silly but hey
:D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Don't worry, people spend fortunes tuning their cars so that they can get 1st and 2nd wheelspin when accelerating! :D

If you have the traction control on your MINI, it will only "chirp" the wheels and then the traction control kicks in and stops it spinning. Check on the rev counter when it does it again and see if you have an orange light flickering on and off. This is a sign the traction control has kicked in ;)

The most wear you will get will be tyre wear when spinning wheels! :p

·
Bugaboo Racer
1,559 Posts
My MC will spin its wheels in 1st and 2nd (I even got a bit in 3rd in the wet the other night). Can't wait to try it again in my MCS (only 24 days to go!)

Shame new tyres are so expensive...

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
colink said:
Shame new tyres are so expensive...
LOL

Yeah, bit of a downer isnt it :( :p

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
It means that the engine power and momentum of everything had too much energy for the tyres to absorb. It's certainly not good for the clutch, and probably not good for the entire drivetrain from the engine right through to the suspension and engine mounts. :(

It is however, muchly fun so it's your call :D :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had that phenomenon in my mother´s Astra some 7 years ago. I tried to follow my father and we both had the cars heavily loaded. The problem was he was in a 286 bhp M3, I was in a 71 bhp Astra and he would floor it on yellow traffic lights. The gearbox on that particular Astra model was very tall so shifting from 1st to 2nd was somewhere in the 40 mph numbers and having the tires squeal in such a sluggish car at 45 mph was not very much fun. :rolleyes:

Im my MCS I´m trying to avoid it. I don´t nail it in 1st very often anyway. :eek:

Klaus

·
Registered
336 Posts
KlausR said:
I had that phenomenon in my mother´s Astra some 7 years ago. I tried to follow my father and we both had the cars heavily loaded. The problem was he was in a 286 bhp M3, I was in a 71 bhp Astra and he would floor it on yellow traffic lights. The gearbox on that particular Astra model was very tall so shifting from 1st to 2nd was somewhere in the 40 mph numbers and having the tires squeal in such a sluggish car at 45 mph was not very much fun. :rolleyes:

Im my MCS I´m trying to avoid it. I don´t nail it in 1st very often anyway. :eek:

Klaus

1st gear on my 05 MCS is frankly a bit crap.

Early shifts to 2nd seem to find a lot more torque.

·
Registered
507 Posts
MukiMunki said:
1st gear on my 05 MCS is frankly a bit crap.
Early shifts to 2nd seem to find a lot more torque.
Must be mostly subjective. 1st gear delivers enormous torque to the front wheels, up to 1800 lb ft (2400 Nm). But I know the phenomenon of not being happy with accelerating in 1st gear. The noise seems to build up faster than the speed and it appears to run out of steam early. But not a torque problem afterall...

Klaus

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wheel Spin

I doubt very much that wheelspin is going to damage anything in a MCS apart from the tyres, these cars are built to be driven hard. Unless you think the supercharger is there to help get up steep hills or similar !!!

My 05 MCS chirps from second to third gear, dont worry about it - its the reason i bought it, to drive it hard.

I think we should all relax find a private road and nail your car in every gear, and if it doesnt put a smile on your face, well i give up...

:)

·
Southern Florida Coop S'
27 Posts
lol, all of this talk about wheel spin into 2nd... My car must hate me.. i can get a goood strip in to 4th when racin' somthin worth racin' to date best kill was a 99' Carrera(rollin' start till about 85 MPH) :cool: should seen that guys face... worth a tranny IMO.

BTW I STILL havent found 1 person who will Drag me in a coop S..

In south florida, a mini is not a respected sports car, so , tis my mission to fry 1 import (some honda with a 18" exhaust tip) at a time

05' Coop S

Piston! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.