MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of any changes that will be made to the MINI Cooper for model year 2003? Does anyone know when the 2003 models will be produced? Usually model changeover occurs in late July or early August here in the states. Anyone in the UK have any inside info? Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've heard through a "friend of a friend" (I don't believe he has any direct connection to BMW/MINI, so maybe what he says should be taken with a "grain of salt.") that the "next generation" (I'm not sure if he meant "next model year" or not, though.) MINI will be "de-contented." Apparently BMW was unhappy (from both a design and engineering standpoint) with the work Rover had already done on the Mini prior to BMW's purchase of Rover. In their haste to get the car (now known as the MINI) to market, BMW's team over-engineered the vehicle. This, of course, lowered BMW's profit margin drastically. Thus BMW will be "de-contenting" the MINI for its second generation. Since I'm unsure if this will take place in 2003 or later, I'm going to make sure to get both my Cooper & Cooper S in 2002!

Has anyone else heard a similiar story...or is it all just an ugly rumor?

·
Registered
577 Posts
To a bean counter (unfortunately for us, they seem to be running things these days), the ECU controlled electrical made sense. It is more expensive and complex to manufacture and install, but it allows them to program the ECU for another function that they can charge for. (Change the ECU programming and you can boost the horsepower of the One to equal the Cooper, as an example.) They didn't anticipate all the problems (as many of you "Christine MINI" owners can attest to) and having to repair it constantly is eating up the profits.

If they are going to simplify the MINI, then I will definitely buy one. I don't want or need power windows, central locking, power side mirrors, self-levelling headlights, rain sensitive wipers, etc. If they rip out that infernal ECU system and go back to a "standard" electrical system (as long as Lucas doesn't subcontract for them :D ) then the car will be a lot more reliable. They should have made the MINI to be a simple, fun-to-drive hot hatch, like the original, rather than a "personal luxury vehicle." They should have built upon 40 years of success. Maybe they have learned their lesson. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've heard through a "friend of a friend" (I don't believe he has any direct connection to BMW/MINI, so maybe what he says should be taken with a "grain of salt.") that the "next generation" (I'm not sure if he meant "next model year" or not, though.) MINI will be "de-contented." Apparently BMW was unhappy (from both a design and engineering standpoint) with the work Rover had already done on the Mini prior to BMW's purchase of Rover. In their haste to get the car (now known as the MINI) to market, BMW's team over-engineered the vehicle. This, of course, lowered BMW's profit margin drastically. Thus BMW will be "de-contenting" the MINI for its second generation. Since I'm unsure if this will take place in 2003 or later, I'm going to make sure to get both my Cooper & Cooper S in 2002!

Has anyone else heard a similiar story...or is it all just an ugly rumor?
CAR magazine made a similar statement about the next generation Mini. However, they were not talking about the 2003 model but the replacement for the current Mini.

The thinking was that at £11,600 BMW would not make enough money on the Cooper. What they did not take into account was that nobody buys a Cooper for that price. From the specs most people on this forum quote, I would have thought £14K was typical, and I'm sure (rejects aside) that BMW will make money on the Mini.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for the responses but I was curious as to the changes for the 2003 model year. I've read that redesigned cupholders and maybe(dare I say) an armrest may be added. How about new fabrics and colors? I'd love the red seats but the red door panels are a little too much for me. Thanks for any inside info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts