MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , this is my 2nd post relating to my Cooper S,
when I turn the key I got all the ignition lights on , but the starter motor fails to engage, I checked battery voltage and its 12.3 volts,
I took the battery out of my key to replace it , does anybody know if this could be anything to do with it ? does the key have to be
re programmed again ? is it worth trying an ECU reset ? I cannot hear the starter trying to engage so could this be an immobaliser
fault rather than the starter motor as someone else suggested.
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated as I cant afford to put into my local mini dealer for diagnostic.
I have a basic code reader , this is showing " no codes present "

·
Registered
189 Posts
The battery in the key has nothing to do with starting the car, don't worry about that. If the problem began after opening the key it's possible you've lost the transponder out of the case. The transponder is a small piece of plastic measuring about 8mm x 4mm and should be slotted into a small 'socket' inside the key fob. Open your key up again and ensure it's still in there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're welcome buddy. It does generate a fault code when you try to start without the transponder but it's not one you can view with a basic fault code reader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts