MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i was just at Canadian Tire, Kal-Tire, OK Tire, you name it, EVEN THE BMW DEALER and they all have said that I can't put 15" rims on this car because the "S" has bigger brakes than the reg cooper. After reading all these threads, I am convinced that they just don't know because they are too lazy to actually find out. My issue with 15" rims is that I apparently need 15x6.5's, I was wondering if 15x6's would work without harming my car over a long period (putting 185-65-15 tires on em) Im just having a hard time finding CORRECT info about this, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

Thanks

·
Canuck Poster
24 Posts
Hey MG,

I'm not going to be much help to you, as I'm not an R53 expert by any means. Since you're a fellow Calgarian, why not try posting the same question at:

http://www.minicalgary.com ?

My apologies if this is against forum policy to mention another forum, but I'm just trying to "help a neighbour out"...

Good luck!

P.S. I just put my winters on, and now it's going to be 20 degrees (celsius) this week...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey guys, i was just at Canadian Tire, Kal-Tire, OK Tire, you name it, EVEN THE BMW DEALER and they all have said that I can't put 15" rims on this car because the "S" has bigger brakes than the reg cooper. After reading all these threads, I am convinced that they just don't know because they are too lazy to actually find out. My issue with 15" rims is that I apparently need 15x6.5's, I was wondering if 15x6's would work without harming my car over a long period (putting 185-65-15 tires on em) Im just having a hard time finding CORRECT info about this, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

Thanks
That is true for the JCW or the R56 MCS (which have bigger brakes), but for a regular '03 MCS I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Also, using narrower wheels for the winter certainly won't harm the car. You need to check the tire brand to see what size rims it will fit on. Normally, a 185mm tire will fit on a 6 inch rim.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
... they all have said that I can't put 15" rims on this car because the "S" has bigger brakes than the reg cooper. After reading all these threads, I am convinced that they just don't know because they are too lazy to actually find out. My issue with 15" rims is that I apparently need 15x6.5's, I was wondering if 15x6's would work without harming my car over a long period (putting 185-65-15 tires on em) Im just having a hard time finding CORRECT info about this, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)
The 1st Gen Cooper and Cooper S came from the factory with the same size brakes.

You can use OEM 15x5.5 wheels for winter. The OEM 16" R87 wheel is only 5.5" wide because it was intended for winter use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts