MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MINI2 Irritant
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - got a 2003 - 53 MCS with factory Nav. Notice that this system doesnt show speed cameras - Can you simply use the latest DVD disk - 2007/8 and will this automatically upgrade to Nav to show safety cameras.

Is it a simple proceedure to upgrade the maps - ie just wack in the dvd and go - or is it more complicated that this.

Cheers for you help!!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
It is more complicated. The map disks by default do not have the camera locations on them and you have to manually add them. I used a program called Pimp My Nav to do it the last time but you can also look through the sticky at the top of this forum to try and do it yourself.

Camera POI can be gotten here...
Become a Member of PocketGPSWorld.com

You have to be a member to get them.

Good luck!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts

·
MINI2 Irritant
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked - mine has the DVD version - currently using 2003 didsk - what extra would the 2007/8 disk give me if i swicthed over

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think just updated maps...I have 2008-02 disc and the only difference I've noticed so far is that when you're taking an exit off a motorway/A road etc it tell you to 'take the next exit, number bla bla' (before it just said take the next exit)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Updated POIs
Updated Roads
Updated TMC channels

That is pretty much it. The 2003 is pretty out of date and many new roads will probably be on the disk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have a 2003 - 53 MCS with factory Nav. I would bei ntrested in what you decided to do and if you were successful in obtaining a DISC with updated roads, speed camara`s and POIs.
How do I find out the correct disc for my MCS

thanks for any help

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
First, go to the setup menu on your nav screen and post the numbers in the upper right corner in full.

Once you do that, we can determine if you have a MK3 or 4. If you have an MK3 you need to buy the high CD from BMW, if it is a DVD unit, you can buy the High DVD from them.

Once you get the updated disk, you can make your own disk to add POI. However, this will only work with the DVD, not the CD as there is not enough space.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
You have a DVD model...

With that, you firmware is V22 or V22.1 and the latest is V31.

The latest firmware is on my site Simply MINI and it is located on the left side. You simply download it, unzip it and burn the ISO file to a CD.

Pop that into your NAV with the key in first position. Wait and it will update the NAV OS. This will get you better routing and a perspective mode.

As for the disk you can buy from BMW or Navteq and the current version is 2008-2 at 149.00 pounds. Once you get that, you can start the process of adding POI to it but you do need to be a bit of a computer nerd. If you aren't there are some tools you can buy that will help like...

Pimp-My-Nav Home

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for your help.
As a new mini2 member I had a little difficulty in finding your reply.
I need to learn to navigate the site before trying to improve the sat nav. Any tips.

If I upgrade the OS with your V31 download will I see an improvement in routing and a perspective mode with out purchasing version 2008-2 or is this a ridiculous question ?

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
No ridiculous at all. Yes, you will see improved routing and perspective with the older maps.

As for the site, no problem at all. We all have to learn sometime. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK I have downloaded the V31 from your web site
I have power achiver 2000 on my computer.
when opening this it contains a file called
NavigationV31.nrg
Is this the OS file you refer to that I need to burn to a CD ? :confused:

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Yes, I will have to create an ISO file to put out there for your to burn. You might try burning the nrg file like an ISO (simply rename the .nrg file to .iso) as they really are the same thing. Nero changed the extension to customize their product.

Here is a great article on buring an ISO file.

How to Write ISO Files to CD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just checked - mine has the DVD version - currently using 2003 didsk - what extra would the 2007/8 disk give me if i swicthed over
I have the same DVD version Sat Nav disc in my Nov 2003 MCS.
I`m intrested in what you decided to do and the results if any :puzzled:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts