MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My elderly father in law is considering selling his 2004 Mini Cooper S Monte Carlo 40th Anniv Edition that he bought new and driven only 5K miles. It has been properly stored in his So Cal garage since new. Since the Kelly Blue book only reflects like $4-6K, I’m reaching out to this knowledgeable crowd to try and get a grasp on the real world value. Please give me your thoughts. It is 100% original and other than needing a good detailing due to a lack of use, its in excellent condition with all the stickers, paperwork, window sticker etc....

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
i would store it for another ten years will only ever go up in value as more and more r53 are disappearing, you can get car sealer bags for dry storage,
if that dont work its finding the best auction that has online bidding and large amount of all kinds of cars etc , list as a future investment etc,, i think they are just to new still needs a few more years to start to increase more in value like all the 1980s 1990s cars are now just starting to increase, i got a supra i've hidden away for years now oiled up and sealed in dry bag as such thats 1993 and is going up in value all the time now as non abused 80k cars are rare so a 5k special edition mini r53 will do the same trick i would think,think now is the best time to buy them, sometimes its worth keeping your savings in the right car for the future as banks pay low interest rates and on the right cars you can make very good money by knowing when to buy and when to sell them,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would store it for another ten years will only ever go up in value as more and more r53 are disappearing, you can get car sealer bags for dry storage,
if that dont work its finding the best auction that has online bidding and large amount of all kinds of cars etc , list as a future investment etc,, i think they are just to new still needs a few more years to start to increase more in value like all the 1980s 1990s cars are now just starting to increase, i got a supra i've hidden away for years now oiled up and sealed in dry bag as such thats 1993 and is going up in value all the time now as non abused 80k cars are rare so a 5k special edition mini r53 will do the same trick i would think,think now is the best time to buy them, sometimes its worth keeping your savings in the right car for the future as banks pay low interest rates and on the right cars you can make very good money by knowing when to buy and when to sell them,
Thanks for the feedback Mike. I’ve been an auto enthusiast for nearly 60 yrs and have owned & loved a wide variety of cars in that time. From old Fords, Volvos, TR’s & MG’s, to 60’s Muscle, Corvettes and Porsches, I’ve enjoyed the hobby immensely and have been lucky enough to own some really cool cars. I’ve ridden the market up on my air cooled 911’s and ridden it back down on my 1940 Ford Woody wagon, and would agree that certain high interest 80 & newer cars seem to be on the rise. I typically buy cars that turn me on and I drive & fastidiously maintain them vs tucking them away as investments. But your point is well taken....the right cars can be descent investments vs your BofA savings acct. Like so many other “car guys” my biggest challenge is storage! But I’ll prolly try and figure out a way to buy one or more of my FIL’s cool cars as he looks to downsize and simplify at 84 yo.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
i tick same way dont keep cars past 3 months normally as life is to short not to try and own as many as i can lol along the way plus i never loose any money on them like that, ie always look for the broken ones etc, loads of things effect price on car ie what time of year where in world you are and how stupid the government is at the time etc ie with save the planet no one knows what coming next with cars and future of combustion engines etc, in uk they have been chipping at road tax and think there is a big increase on the way soon first with diesels and big engines petrol's etc,, i just pulled my money back out of a 6k car and put it in to something stand same under 2k and petrol powered etc to avoid being caught with a diesel i cant sell when they do start pushing people to electric stuff

·
Registered
83 Posts
I could see it being worth 7k..low miles doesn't equate new..not getting used and stuff the engine cam could be worn from dry start from sitting so long and the bushings but I don't for see these sc cars becoming valuable at all..if it was a jcw maybe or a gp . I could see the turbo models 20 years later but not our r53s..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I get all the possible gotchas due to a lack of use but my belief is that there is a unique appeal associated with any super low mileage car and easy to justify a premium vs one well driven. My gut feel is if he advertised it for $7k, willing buyers would be lined up from LA to San Diego.....but I may be all fluffed up :>)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts