MINI Cooper Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, since my sojourn in Wales I've been mulling this over and over, I did the route once , and came back thinking OMG. second time, it was exactly the same but faster!, now I want to share :) .
Its time to gauge interest , basically it will be a winter run in Mid Wales taking in 4 Lakes and 5 freaky mountains, the roads are designated B, but they are D or E in many cases on my reckoning. No nasty lumps and bumps but it is remote for the most part and only drivers with confidence should apply. Its not especially dangerous, but it does require a steady nerve on some parts.
A splendid lunch stop in Bala, about 90 miles all told , Ice picks and crampons may be required;)

So whos interested ?

Jan 30th 10:00 AM Sharp run lasts about 4hours not including stops and lunch break, so should be done by 4 pm latest

As its a way out for some folks Hotel accomodation will be arranged at somewhere nice
SEE POST 22 for Pics
Provisional route :
Start @ Welshpool
Vyrnwy (L) (Picture opportinites)
Over the top to Bala (M)
Bala (L) and Lunch (second leg is quite long and loos are a rarity, also remember its cold and windy:eek: )
Llyn Celyn (L)
Trowsfynyyd (L)
Mynydd Bach (M)
Rhobell Fawr(M) Long and twisty run thru great scenery)
Dollgellau (Loos and carpark, shops etc)
Cader Idris (M)
Tywyn
Welshpool

Barmouth removed, takes too long to get to and back, and its not very interesting, Tywyn substituted, beach and large free carparks on Sea front.

The brave souls left are:

1 GOONERY
2 POBSEY
3 MATT18
4 Mad Brummie ,if he can get a car !
5 MAXIM
6 INTERCEPTOR
7 HICKSTER (snow chains optional)........
8 BILLY SMART + ONE (Circus' Diabolique?)
9 MINISOOPERCOOPER (non smoking)
10 WOBERT
11 PORT RHOMBUS
12 L13 COOPER
12a RAKEY + JLo
14 MICKPad
15 oRb
16 Wylie Eyed
17 BEASHTMASCHTER
18 WindyMilller
19 Special Guest ;)

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Sounds very cool indeed. However, I'd need to know - date, how cheap can I stay over, and the idea of £5 for insurance worries me, could this be classed as a rally or something? In which case, how does our insurance stand?

Rough idea of location?

:eek:

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Sounds very cool indeed. However, I'd need to know - date, how cheap can I stay over, and the idea of £5 for insurance worries me, could this be classed as a rally or something? In which case, how does our insurance stand?

Rough idea of location?

:eek:
Worries me also....sure time will tell ;)

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, Date will be January or Feb, too late this year.

Hotel no more than £45 ( bar til u fall over)

Insurance is to cover Ambulans or whatever the Welsh call it.

More later, this is looking good so far:D

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
I would most definitely be interested. Wales is a really great place to drive - but ice and snow is a bit of a worry :eek: Pop me down as interested in the first instance :)

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hickster said:
I would most definitely be interested. Wales is a really great place to drive - but ice and snow is a bit of a worry :eek: Pop me down as interested in the first instance :)
Not actually planning on snow and ice, just some very quiet roads and some amazing photo opportunities really, but then again a bit of Shnee might add to it, bring a shovel:p

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hickster said:
I'll bring a shovel, snow chains and a hundredweight of rock salt if need be ;)
Now thats a bit over the top if I may say so, but over the tops it really is :eek: ;)

·
Hillbilly boy
1,214 Posts
Stick me and the missus down, it will depend on date but im sure i can work round that one...:D

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
See First post for participants !.

Now I'll need one of these Ordinance Survey maps that goes down to fencepost and individual sheep detail, the Sat Nav did'nt register much of it as roads.

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
I'll check out ferry prices and leave permissions when a date is set, but I'd be very provisional as yet........;)

1 - 20 of 267 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.