MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 MCSC. I've read that the base of the 2005 antenna is actually used for satellite radio (when installed). So far, the official Sirius mini radio is not available.

Has anyone installed a "plug and play" Sirius unit in their 2005 Mini? Does anyone know where the connection is in the car to hook up the add-on Sirius unit to the Mini's antenna?

As opposed to placing the antenna that typically comes extra with these units?

Also, is anyplace on the back of the 2005 HK system that takes a line in? I've been trying to find an official .pdf file on the 2005 HK system, but have been unsuccessful.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
I was asking the same questions. Talked to the heavy duty tech at my dealership, and he couldn't answer that either. I am trying to figure out how the convertable one will work. I posted the question on the $150 XM thread, but I think this is a better place for the thread. So my question is with the XM direct and the 2005 MCC. Also does anyone know where the BltzSafe adapter would fit in? I know there is a place for it in the rear cubby hole of the tin top, but where would you install in the rag top?

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
Possible hookup scenario

Finally got a fax of the 2005 antenna from a parts department. It shows 4 cables and connectors in the drawing, but gives no indication as to the length of the cable. they could reach all the way down to the radio bay, or be just short (6in/15 cm) pigtails that connect to long jumpers that attach to the radio.

The drawing shows three connectors that look pretty much the same, and one that looks different. Since the Sirius uses 2 antenna leads, as I understand it, that about accounts for Sirius/NAV/Radio from the antenna. Which is which I can't tell but in about a month, I will have my car, and I can determine which is which.

Worst case cut off one of the Sirius connectors, and solder on a Terk connector; find an IBus tap in the front of the car, and the BlitzSafe/XM Direct unit can exist in the front under the dash, instead of behind a panel in the boot. And the Terk included magnetic puck antenna would make a fine refrigerator magnet :)

This would be a slicker install. And still leave one lead open. The built in antenna should work since both Sirius and XM down link on th Ku Band about 2.3 GHz, so unless there is a built in preamp in the antenna with very steep skirts it should work fine. I am not sure about the SkiFi install, that may require dual antenna leads. I haven't figured out why Sirius uses dual leads, but that may be opposite polarization antennas to accommodate the cars running in multiple directions to the Sat antenna polarization. In that case the XM might get better reception than the included antenna by tying both coaxes together.

Anyone out there know about the Sirius Antenna design? Well lets see where things go from here

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Confused...

phoggberg said:
Finally got a fax of the 2005 antenna from a parts department. It shows 4 cables and connectors in the drawing, but gives no indication as to the length of the cable. they could reach all the way down to the radio bay, or be just short (6in/15 cm) pigtails that connect to long jumpers that attach to the radio.

The drawing shows three connectors that look pretty much the same, and one that looks different. Since the Sirius uses 2 antenna leads, as I understand it, that about accounts for Sirius/NAV/Radio from the antenna. Which is which I can't tell but in about a month, I will have my car, and I can determine which is which.

Worst case cut off one of the Sirius connectors, and solder on a Terk connector; find an IBus tap in the front of the car, and the BlitzSafe/XM Direct unit can exist in the front under the dash, instead of behind a panel in the boot. And the Terk included magnetic puck antenna would make a fine refrigerator magnet :)

This would be a slicker install. And still leave one lead open. The built in antenna should work since both Sirius and XM down link on th Ku Band about 2.3 GHz, so unless there is a built in preamp in the antenna with very steep skirts it should work fine. I am not sure about the SkiFi install, that may require dual antenna leads. I haven't figured out why Sirius uses dual leads, but that may be opposite polarization antennas to accommodate the cars running in multiple directions to the Sat antenna polarization. In that case the XM might get better reception than the included antenna by tying both coaxes together.

Anyone out there know about the Sirius Antenna design? Well lets see where things go from here
All I know about the Sirius design is from when you buy an aftermarket Sirius unit (eg the portable types) the have just one antenna plug into the unit. I'm not sure why you're saying sirius uses 2 antenna leads.

I was told by someone else that the antenna that shipped with my MCSC would have to be replaced if I got the Mini Sirius setup once it becomes available. Apparently, the antenna that shipped is NOT satellite ready.

The bottom line is: no one seems to know exactly what's going on with the sat radio and the '05 Mini's.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
MadisonMini said:
All I know about the Sirius design is from when you buy an aftermarket Sirius unit (eg the portable types) the have just one antenna plug into the unit. I'm not sure why you're saying sirius uses 2 antenna leads..
Well at least the older Sirius units used two antenna leads as shown by the included link for an adapter to convert from one to two leads. the link to crutchfield is:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-99OwfTwwBIO/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=209SIRSP

MadisonMini said:
I was told by someone else that the antenna that shipped with my MCSC would have to be replaced if I got the Mini Sirius setup once it becomes available. Apparently, the antenna that shipped is NOT satellite ready. /QUOTE]

Well perhaps that is the case on the early Cabrios, but I don't think so for 2005 MINI changed the design of the standard antenna, removing the availability of the sharkfin antenna. This was confirmed by the parts guy and the MINI technician. The new antenna standard in 2005 is compatible with Broadcast, NAV, and Sirius. per this link: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/06/09/the_shark_fin_comes_to_an_enf

MadisonMini said:
The bottom line is: no one seems to know exactly what's going on with the sat radio and the '05 Mini's.
I saw the official MINI parts drawing, and there is definately four leads shown with the antenna, the question is do they extend down into the car, or are they pigtails that require an extension lead to be run up to the base of the antenna. So it is definate that the antenna is set for Sat Radio, and should work fine for the Terk XM Adaptor, depending on the antenna conector.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to barge in here when my interest in the 05 antenna is unrelated to the Sirius sat radio. I am trying to take aventage of the integrated sat/am/fm antenna of 05 for the after market GPS.

Although BMW switched to an integrated design for 05, I suspect the sat antenna element and the associated electronics is not there unless you order the nav option. It is extremely unlikely due to cost reason. On the other hand, it is possible the cost increment is so low that it is in fact cheaper to share a common part assembly.

Phoggberg,

Can you please share the fax diagram you received?

Thanks

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Yeah, I'm still waiting for the bloody OEM Sirius option to become available. My trance CDs are running thin, Kajagoogoo is getting too wonky, and my Numan CDs shift the skin on my scalp with massive vibrations.

C'MON BMW!!!! GET THAT OUT!!!!! :mad:

Of course, I could always fire through my entire library of a-ha.... :)

Wait! Just found my Spandau Ballet...ok, BMW, you've got one week!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
514 Posts
So, has anybody unraveled the "mystery" of how to get XM into the convertible and possibly use the built-in antenna leads?

I found some photos on NAM showing an install in an MCC, but can't seem to get the boot liner removed. Admittedly, I'm a bit timid at just poking and pulling for fear of damaging something.

Any insights/breakthroughs would be good to hear.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
zodiac said:
Phoggberg,

Can you please share the fax diagram you received?

Thanks
And the Answer is .... in the attachment ,,,,

I too have plans, I am hoping to use the two Sirius antennas one for XM and one for GPS, the car antenna for 2M FM transmission as well as AM/FM Broadcast Reception and the Nav System will use the GPS antenna, that should fill things out, now all I need is the car .... :(

Though small you can plainly see there are 4 coax leads. Three seem to be terminated in SMA connectors and the fourth some type of bayonette connector. Since no one has found them down by the radio, I think they may be pigtails (i.e. short pieces of coax up near the bottom of the connector to which the factory/dealer adds extension coax to reach the device they are intended to connect to)

Lets see if this starts some discovery ... I hope this helps ....

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any updates on the AM/FM/Sat antenna? The XM tuner box used to have two connections: one for sat. reception and one for reception from antennas XM had in cities to help prevent drop-outs. Current models seem to have only one connection.

·
MINI2 Regular
20 Posts
Sirius fitted with new antenna MCS2005

(MCS2005)
Stopped by the dealer on Saturday and bought the new 2005 antenna, Sirius receiver and mounting bracket. Yes the new antenna has four connections, the two that are existing on the antenna that was built with the car (is that radio & GPS ?) plus two more for Sirius which are Satellite and Terrestrial antennas and are labeled as such. The installation took much longer than I had expected as the instructions say to remove the whole left and right hand side-panels. That involves removing the rear seats, the rear boot footing and then unclipping the panels all the way to the front doors. Then the roof liner has to be carefully puilled down so the antenna can be unbolted and swapped out (not too easy).

The only problem that I had was that having HK sound package the HK amp is on the rear right-hand side where the Sirius receiver would otherwise bolt, so the receiver goes on the left and there is an addtional 1.5m $18 cable that goes from the connection on the right under the boot over to the left-side. Unfortunately I had to go back and buy this one to finish the job.

Upside, I was previously using Sirius with a SIR-PNP2 that was plugged into the Auxillary. The sound seems to be clearer now that it is all digital to the head. Having the built-in receiver is much tidier. LOOKS AND SOUNDS GREAT!

Downside, wow! that was one expensive upgrade. $450 for the receiver, antenna, cable and mounting bracket. The display is a bit limited for showing the artist / track name and yoiu can't preview the channels like you can with the regular Sirius SIR-PNP2 receiver.

·
MINI2 Something or Other
307 Posts
mr_uu, I've been trying to figure out if I buy a new 2005 MCS, which, if any, of the Sirius components in my 2003 MCS will fit in a 2005 MCS. The main reason I want to do this is because I purchased the lifetime Sirius subscription, which is for the life of my receiver, so I'd like to take it with me.

Can you confirm if the part number for your receiver is 84 11 0 150 535? That's what's on the box for my 2003 receiver. Also, I'd like to know what your new antenna looks like. Can you tell me if the wires and connectors used for the Sirius receiver that come off the bottom of your antenna look like those in the picture below? That's my Sirius antenna and more pics are in my gallery. Did your antenna come with similar hardware shown in the picture?

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those interesting in using the 2005 antenna for XM, it probably will not work. Terk said that Sirius and XM antennas are not interchangable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
mr_uu said:
(MCS2005)
Stopped by the dealer on Saturday and bought the new 2005 antenna, Sirius receiver and mounting bracket. Yes the new antenna has four connections, the two that are existing on the antenna that was built with the car (is that radio & GPS ?) plus two more for Sirius which are Satellite and Terrestrial antennas and are labeled as such. The installation took much longer than I had expected as the instructions say to remove the whole left and right hand side-panels. That involves removing the rear seats, the rear boot footing and then unclipping the panels all the way to the front doors. Then the roof liner has to be carefully puilled down so the antenna can be unbolted and swapped out (not too easy).

The only problem that I had was that having HK sound package the HK amp is on the rear right-hand side where the Sirius receiver would otherwise bolt, so the receiver goes on the left and there is an addtional 1.5m $18 cable that goes from the connection on the right under the boot over to the left-side. Unfortunately I had to go back and buy this one to finish the job.

You can buy those parts at the Cleveland, Ohio dealer for $320.

Upside, I was previously using Sirius with a SIR-PNP2 that was plugged into the Auxillary. The sound seems to be clearer now that it is all digital to the head. Having the built-in receiver is much tidier. LOOKS AND SOUNDS GREAT!

Downside, wow! that was one expensive upgrade. $450 for the receiver, antenna, cable and mounting bracket. The display is a bit limited for showing the artist / track name and yoiu can't preview the channels like you can with the regular Sirius SIR-PNP2 receiver.

You can buy those parts at the Cleveland, Ohio dealer for $320.

·
MINI2 Regular
20 Posts
Minimum said:
mr_uu, I've been trying to figure out if I buy a new 2005 MCS, which, if any, of the Sirius components in my 2003 MCS will fit in a 2005 MCS. The main reason I want to do this is because I purchased the lifetime Sirius subscription, which is for the life of my receiver, so I'd like to take it with me.

Can you confirm if the part number for your receiver is 84 11 0 150 535? That's what's on the box for my 2003 receiver. Also, I'd like to know what your new antenna looks like. Can you tell me if the wires and connectors used for the Sirius receiver that come off the bottom of your antenna look like those in the picture below? That's my Sirius antenna and more pics are in my gallery. Did your antenna come with similar hardware shown in the picture?

YES the antenna kit looked exactly like what is in the picture. I need to go get the recipts for the parts to find out the part numbers. I'll post them here very soon (!) m

·
MINI2 Something or Other
307 Posts
Cool. It sounds like I'll just be re-using all my old hardware then. I'm fairly certain you'll discover that your antenna has a different part number. My antenna part number is 84-11-0-150-524. I read that there are additional wires on it to support Navigation so it would make sense that the part number would change.

·
MINI2 Something or Other
307 Posts
mr_uu, I have a couple other Sirius antenna install questions for you. What tool did you use to tighten the bolt that holds the Sirius antenna in place? How did you access the bolt?

·
MINI2 Regular
20 Posts
Minimum said:
mr_uu, I have a couple other Sirius antenna install questions for you. What tool did you use to tighten the bolt that holds the Sirius antenna in place? How did you access the bolt?
The instructions are included with the antenna or if they are not ask the dealer to print out a copy from the CDRom. In summary open the boot and pull off the (top area only of the) rubber seal that seals the boot and the frame. Now gently pull down on the roof liner. There is a plastic clip in the center that holds the roof liner up, mine came out easy but the instructions say you have to gently pry it down with something like a long screwdriver.

Now you have to work very carefully to avoid damaging the roof liner. You can use a long hex socket over the bolt on the underside of the antenna to undo it. As I recall it was a 22mm but check against the replacement antenna which is the same size.

There are two wires out of the bottom of the old antenna. Carefully trace them and they unplug from the existing mates.

Threading the nut for the new antenna was a *****! We pulled out the rubber hose that contains the wires into the boot-lid so that we could get a better view. Then have someone hold a flashlight. PUT A MARK on the 22mm nut with a permanent marker towards the rear of the car. The orientation has to be correct to engage the inside (you'll see!) Eventually it will go onto the thread.

The part numbers for the Sirius stuff were
(Keep in mind this is for an MC2005 / MCS2005)
Antenna 84110393780 $90
Sirius Receiver 84110150535 $275
Sirius Installation Kit 84110150534 $45
(addtional for Harman/Kardon only) 84110150533 $19.13
(additional for trunk mount CD changer only) 84110150532 $???

m

·
MINI2 Something or Other
307 Posts
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I needed to know. It looks like all the Sirius parts and installation are identical between the 2003 MCS and 2005 MCS with the exception of an updated antenna.

Yeah, I remember it wasn't easy tightening the bolt for the new antenna on my 2003. I asked for details hoping you might have found an easier way. I did most of my work through the hole where the security system sensor would normally go, but the location for that sensor might be different on cars without a sunroof.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.