MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool:
It's only fair to follow up on previous posts (October 16/9) regarding long period of time for 'repair' of problem with my new Cooper.
It was in dealer shop (wth only 1500 miles) for almost two weeks (gave me two diff. '04's) which ran like a dream--but color was ugly to us!),

Turns out -- and pay attention -- incase you get this ---:
That there was a faulty "purge valve" somewhere up front, which in turn forced the little recirc pump for gas fumes in fuel tank, to keep breaking down/leak/wear out/ which in turn caused the 'check gas cap light' to come on... Three pumps were installed inrear of car before they discovered the purge valve apparently was faulty, after testing it on brand new car and getting same fault light.... (BLAME this whole system on EPA regulations !!!!!!!)

Now have over 300 miles on car since 'repair' and no problems...
Maybe this will prevent someone else from having long repair wait and similar problem... even the BMW "tech" had trouble finding this one!!!

Motoring on in Saint Louis !!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem right now. When I start the car the check gas cap light isn't on, but after a few minutes it comes on and stays for about 15minutes. This is driving me crazy. Im not under warranty right now since is a 2005 coop S. I ran the autometer and gave me P0442 code (which is about the leak purge valve thing you said). Dont know what to do. is it bad for the car? how much will cost?

thanks in advance

1 - 2 of 2 Posts