MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time since I've had my car, I turned on the front defrost. Is there ANY way to use the front defrost without the fan blowing full blast?

As soon as I tried to turn the fan down, the defrost light goes out. It seems to me you can't use the defroster without the fan blowing like crazy, which isn't necessary but very loud.

·
vroooooommmmmm
174 Posts
I am having the same problem - I can't figure out how to turn down the fan on the defrost! :eek: It's been raining here for the better part of the last two and a half weeks, so I've had to either improvise by turning on the A/C, but turning up the temp (which works) or dealing with the full-on blast of the defrost. :rolleyes:

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
Cant you just push the fan direction from your "face" towards the up direction?

that way it goes through the AC controls.

...right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So lame

OK, so I just re-read the manual...the button I'm calling the front defroster is actually "defrosting/demisting" button. According to the manual, you have no control over it.

So Wini, seems your right, if you just want to put some heat to the windshield, I guess you have to press the UP button, as opposed to the face or foot button.

Is it just me, or is the whole auto AC thing pretty lame on this car?? Actually, can't see any reason to have it, all it does is just blast the crap out of the fan, no matter what temp you set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hold down the defrost button after you push it. The fan should slow down.

Rob

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I haven't tried it on my '05, but I'm still pretty sure if it works the same as earlier models as rob has said. The logic is - when you want it to defrost, you want to do it quickly, so it goes on full blast, if you don't want it full, then use it another way, such as holding (if that works) or using the up from feet logo thing on the right side and the manual adjust to set fan speed, (aka not auto).

Personally though,I love the Auto AC. Its gotten better with a few smarter revisions.

If you're a fiddler, and like to change things all the time, then its not for you, but if you're ok with leaving it alone it works fine. When you're pulling out of a spot, and you suddenly get fogging, or you're scraping ice off in the winter, its great to be able to hit one button and have defrost on max and the rear defroster go on.

And I'm biased, but I don't know why you'd have crap blasting, I keep my temp usually at 72, and as long as the external temp is somewhere between say 40 and 80, it never blasts, it just goes to a medium to cool/warm things up and then goes to low. I do recall getting lots of cold air if it was over 90 and sunny, but then I wanted it, because it was really hot in the car...

Seems to work as advertised, though I will admit, if you don't leave it on auto all the time, the controls can be annoying, but I think that's a fair tradeoff, as it is automatic climate control, manual mode is lacking.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
MadisonMini said:
Is it just me, or is the whole auto AC thing pretty lame on this car?? Actually, can't see any reason to have it, all it does is just blast the crap out of the fan, no matter what temp you set.
Be glad you have the IMPROVED auto ac! ;)

On older systems, it will blow air at you before the engine is hot, even on freezing winter days.

Also on older systems, there was no "up" direction for the vents; only a "demist" button - if you pressed it you got max blowing like your demist button now. If you wanted controllable air flow, you had to press and hold it for a second or two - not very intuitive!
The new system with separate "demist" and "up direction" buttons is an improvement, but still in many ways not as easy as manual ac.

With my manual ac I simply turn a knob to control air direction - and I can choose "a bit" of air to the screen and "mostly" air to feet, or anywhere in between the extremes.
Yes, I have to adjust the temperature control sometimes depending on the engine temperature, outside air temperature and amount of sunshine. But I used to have to do that anyway with the auto ac on my first MINI so no big deal.

I am glad that MINI have attempted to improve the auto ac system, but it seems they still have a long way to go ...

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
stryder said:
I haven't tried it on my '05, but I'm still pretty sure if it works the same as earlier models as rob has said. The logic is - when you want it to defrost, you want to do it quickly, so it goes on full blast, if you don't want it full, then use it another way, such as holding (if that works) or using the up from feet logo thing on the right side and the manual adjust to set fan speed, (aka not auto).
Just to clarify Stryder:
The new auto ac *IS* different to previous years - they separated the demist and direction functions, and eliminated the "OFF" setting (if you want to turn off the system you now have to turn down the fan speed to zero - but of course the old complaint that when "off" it still sometimes blows hot air out the vents has not been resolved)

·
Registered
514 Posts
GBMINI said:
but of course the old complaint that when "off" it still sometimes blows hot air out the vents has not been resolved
You're kidding?! How is it that Mini has been unable/unwilling to address this issue? Ugh. :( Oh well, it's probably too late to remove premium pkg and get the individual options except auto AC.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I really don't agree with everyone's complaints about the Auto AC. My fans never blast. You just have to understand how it works, and its differences from regular.

Regular controls have a cold/warm knob that controls the mix of engine-warmed and outside air. If for example you wanted it 10 degrees warmer outside, you would set it to hotter, wait till it reached the desired temp, then turn it down. How far down will come with experimenting, until you get just the right mixture of the two to keep the interior temp approximately steady. Of course this is never obtainable because outside air temp and sun heating are continuously changing.

Automatic climate control adds a thermometer and a precise temperature setting. It hands all of the above for you, all of the time. It even has an optical direct sunlight sensor to correct for that (if you have sunroof or convertible). It ALWAYS works this way. The AUTO button on the right does not turn that behavior on and off; it simply turns on automatic control of the fan speed as well--this is the part that most people don't like. Think of that button as short for AUTO FAN. I never use it (unless I were warming the car up and wanted inside temp to adjust as fast as possible). I usually leave my fan on the second notch setting.

In general, don't bother with the buttons on the left side, everything you need is on the right. The traditional defrost button is the one with the arrow coming up from your feet (on newer systems--yes it stinks this is not present on older systems). The one on the left side think of a super defrost--if you were driving and suddenly needed things defogged asap, that is the one to hit, it will turn on your AC to dry out the air, and blast the hell out of things and get those windows clear as soon as possibly. But normally, you would just use the standard defrost.

So again, think of the left side buttons as "As fast as possible" buttons.

But the whole point here is, using just the right side, your temperature is still automatically controlled. I set mine at 68 when I bought my mini and have never had to adjust it since, no matter what the weather. It does a spectacular job of controlling the temperature and I think it is WELL worth the price difference.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Our MOD also has the heated screen. It takes just seconds to demist the windscreen and it's silent.

I don't understand why it's an option or why it's not available on a lot of expensive cars. If I were in charge of the legislation, I would make it compulsory. I see far too many cars either being driven with steamed-up windows, or left with the engine running and no-one in them while they warm up, which is no good for the environment or car theft statistics.

I've got to admit that on other cars with auto aircon and an unheated screen, the screen demist setting is effective if noisy.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
The heated front screen option is not available in USA - apparently it might affect the "EZpass" RFID devices that people use to pay when driving through tolls ...

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
One of the many reasons I prefer the manual a/c over the auto/climate. You just seem to have better control of the manual vs auto (it's certainly less fiddly).
I must agree with the master on this issue. Manual is the way to go. :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I, too prefer the manual A/C. While my MCS was in for repair they gave me a loaner with the auto A/C. Didn't like it. However, the auto A/C does look cooler. No pun intended.

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
Thermometer this am read 25F. Stepped outside, started car, pressed one button, walked back inside. After 3 minutes or so the windshield was thawed. To each his/her own I guess...

Holding down the defrost/demist button DID NOT lower fan speed however.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Holding down defrost doesn't work on '05s. They redid the climate control. It works on 02-04s, as '05s added the 'up from feet' button, you can control it that way....

·
Registered
362 Posts
reills said:
Thermometer this am read 25F. Stepped outside, started car, pressed one button, walked back inside. After 3 minutes or so the windshield was thawed. To each his/her own I guess...
In England, that would be an open invitation to get your car stolen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts