MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
aaaaaalright
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a 2005 MCS. I am opting to not go with the xenon headlights, for money reasons and the fact that they are getting stolen a lot. However, will that change the fixture design of the new headlight design or will the bulb just be replaced and the new design stay the same.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
No one has reported any MINI Xenons being stolen that I know of. Its a simple fact that unlike the Japanese cars which the luxury headlights fit into the lower model cars, MINI headlights don't fit into anything, so why bother stealing them, its not like other MINI owners are going to buy them.

It could become a problem in the future, but it isn't now. Of course budget issues are more important.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean by 'change the fixture design' there are (and were for the '02-04 lights) two different headlights, one for Halogen, and one for Xenon. They look similar, but are definetly different, most obviously because Xenons have the power washers on the inside edge.

If you look at this news article from the launch of the convertible:

http://www.mini2.com/news/news221.html

1/4 of the way down, the cool blue car has Xenons

1/2 of the way down, the pure silver one has Halogens

Especially if you use the larger image size links, you can see the clear differences.

·
aaaaaalright
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt know that the minis xenon bulb did not fit anything else...the pictures answer my question, i was talking about on the xenon fixture, it has those small circle holes in the side of it where the halogen doesnt.

thanks for the help

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Do you currently have Xenons? I don't think it'd be economical anyway, since they're probably like US$1000 just in parts. They've only been available in the UK for a week or two anyway, so there isn't much info available yet.

If you like the Xenon look, you're probably better off buying some blueish halogen bulbs, or looking at an aftermarket conversion kit, unless you're really, really set on having the '05 look, in which case it probably is possible, as everything can be done if you're willing to pay for it.

I'd check with your dealer, they usually have part #s and pricing for anything that MINI officially offers as a retrofit kit, like the Multifunction Steering wheel.

·
I love my MINI
337 Posts
Aftermarket options??

stryder said:
Do you currently have Xenons? I don't think it'd be economical anyway, since they're probably like US$1000 just in parts. They've only been available in the UK for a week or two anyway, so there isn't much info available yet.

If you like the Xenon look, you're probably better off buying some blueish halogen bulbs, or looking at an aftermarket conversion kit, unless you're really, really set on having the '05 look, in which case it probably is possible, as everything can be done if you're willing to pay for it.

I'd check with your dealer, they usually have part #s and pricing for anything that MINI officially offers as a retrofit kit, like the Multifunction Steering wheel.
What aftermarket options are available???

Regards...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know its 14 days old, but its worth replying anyway.

If you ever think you will want Xenons, get them factory fitted. I am going down the "retro-fit" option at the moment, and it would be easier to trade the car in for one with Xenons.

BMW do make a Xenon retro-fit kit for cars pre-2004, i dont know what thyis involves, but its about £650+VAT

Firstly, you cannot simply swap the haolgen lights for Xenon lights. If you do this, you will have what i have at the moment, and thats the burner (bulb) not igniting as it should do, and as a result it will strobe/flicker. Sometimes sorting itself out but sometimes it can take 5 attempts to get it to ignite. (oddly enhough they are fine if you turn the fogs on)

It appears the cable harness thats in a car with haolgen lights does not deliver enough voltage to the ballasts so they can fire the burners. As far as i can see, this is due to the fact the Main cable harness that supports the Xenons, has 2 additional connections (Pins) possibly for additional power.

So you need to replace the main cable harness, this is both very expensive, and time consuming, you need to strip the car right down. £800+ for the cable harness in the UK, and BMW quote it as a 3 day job (workshop charge could be over £1000)

Neither can you fit HID/Xenon aftermarket kits into the halogen housing. Firstly the beam pattern will be wrong. Secondly (from personal experience) the bulbs do not fit, they are far too long, and they hit the cap inside the low beam housing. (Although this might not be the case for DSR/D2S bulbs)

Cars fitted with Xenons are required by law (in some countries) to have self levelling facilties and head light washers. I have no idea if this is imposed only to manafacturers, or to everyone.

Retro-fitting headlight washers is no problem, in the UK they are £106+ VAT, and £40+VAT to have the programmed in. You can fit them yourself, but BMW will charge £200+VAT for them to fit them.

Automatic levelling, now thats a differnt matter. This consists (in the Mini) of a level sensor over both the front and rear axel, then a DHL unit in the dash, where the maual levelling is) The sensors connect to points on the main cable harness.

Xenons need to be programmed in, and cannot be programmed in unless the Sensors are installed.

You might get away with connecting the levelling sensors and DHL to the BC (Body Control) module by bodging it. But you would need to find the correct pins, and BMW will probably have something to say.

Hella make a self-levelling system, but ive been told that it wont work for the Mini, as the headlights are made by BOSCH, i am waiting for a reply from BOSCH to see what they can offer.

Unless BMW make a retro-fit kit, dont bother its a waste of time, effort and money. Get them fitted at the factory.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
aphix
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing